News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1187 Youth?

Started by st8tman, December 09, 2011, 04:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

st8tman

Hello,
I have been "on the sidelines" for sometime reading the various forum topics and posts on this excellent website. I must say the knowledge and willingness to help fellow shooters/hunters on here is second to none! Anyhow, I just officially registered and look forward to engaging in topics myself in the future. Having said that I would appreciate your opinion on my current undertaking.
I recently purchased a new 1187 Compact for my 10 year old son, as his "Santa Clause"! The gun comes with one Rem-Choke factory Modified flush mount tube. I intend on purchasing a Trulock Improved Cylinder for Rabbits/Dove etc. I also would like to outfit this new unit for Turkey with the primary target being Spring Gobblers. I live and hunt in the mountains of Virginia so most shot opportunities are in a wooded environment; however an occassional "cow pasture" bird is surely to present itself each season. Without running the gammot of pattern testing alot of different rounds, I have pretty much decided to attempt to make the Federal Heavyweight 3# 1 1/2 oz #7 shot his go too round. Here is where I would like your insight. Instead of the .575 "Turkey" Choke, I am leaning towards the .585 X Full. My thinking is it would allow a little more "wiggle room" for 20-35 yd shot opportunities, but properly patterned, still be capable of producing 40-45 yd kill shots. I realize each gun shoots different and only rangetime will effectively answer the weapons potential, but I am trying to avoid a choke producing softball size patterns for close encounters. As a footnote, my son has thus far proven to be very capable having taken 4 gobblers in 4 shots. Any insight greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

FullChoke

Many on the board here are using the Remington SuperFull (RSF) choke in conjunction with the Federal Heavyweight #7 shot shells and getting great even patterns out to 40 yards without being overly tight. Make certain that it is rated for use with HTL shot. You should be able to find that choke for $10 online.

After seeing the results of this combination, don't be surprised if you fell the need to get the same setup for yourself.

Cheers.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

deacon

I have the same gun and at 20 yards with the Fed HW 7s and Rem .575 you're looking at a baseball/softball size pattern. 160-180 at 40 yards in a 10".

I found the magblends and an Indian Creek .555 to be more forgiving at closer range and still in the 150s at 40 yards.

Good luck to you both! Oh and he's right you WILL want one for yourself!

DKA