News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

afternoon spring turkey hunting

Started by gob09, December 07, 2011, 01:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on December 30, 2011, 04:42:44 PM
Pa. just started afternoon hunting in 2011 and then only the last two weeks of the season. It may take a while for us to figure it out. We have had a spring season in Pa. since the late 1960's but this afternoon hunting is brand new here! I did not get a chance to try it as I filled my tag the first week. Any other Pa. hunters here try the afternoon hunt?

I killed one at 4pm the third week  ;D  :newmascot:

redleg06

I've usually worn myself put by the afternoon so Im pretty ready to take it
easy... I've always just felt like the beat place to do that AND give myself a chance to bag a bird is under a shade tree near a feeding area or where i think they'll head back to roost.

Rio Fan

I've had quite a few successful hunts in the afternoon/evening.  From my experience, if you locate a bird that's fired up in the afternoon, you have a really good chance to kill him.  Like some guys already mentioned, if you get on a bird in the morning, but don't kill him, slip back in there in the afternoon.  I hunted a bird two years ago opening morning.  He gobbled at me numerous times, but he ended up moving away from me with several hens.  I went back to that area about at about 1:30 that afternoon and he gobbled at my first series of yelps and then I heard drumming and he showed up in no time at all.  I love hunting in the afternoon.

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!

CASH

My best method has been...

Sit in Gobbler Lounger
Call a little
Fall Asleep
Wake Up and shoot the Gobbler walking by

Of course it's only happened once, but it was exciting none the less.
   :drool:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

wmd

This will be the first year that I have access to property that allows hunting after 1200.  I plan to give the afternoon birds a try a time or two.

BrowningGuy88

I always roost a turkey when I get the chance, so I guess I hunt in the evenings. I have killed about 10 gobblers in the evenings.

If I get off early or don't have anything to do on Saturday then I will go as soon as I can and get between where I think the turkeys are and where I think they will roost. I will then get comfy, build a natural blind and purr and cluck every once in a while. If he comes by I will shoot him, if not I generally here where he flies up and gobbles on the roost. then I am back there well before daylight with a git in a 3" magnum package!  :fud: :newmascot:

Rockhound

i hate evening hunting for turkeys and deer alike but i cant kill em on the couch

JWC07

I've killed a few in the evenings. I do like many have said, hang around roost spots soft calling and scratching. I've even had them fly up close without getting a shot. Left all my gun and vest and everything leaning up against the tree and slipped out silently, then came right back like a ghost in the am to kill one. My theory was I could always slip in more quietly carrying nothing at all.

It worked. Luckily I didn't sleep through my alarm and come back to find my stuff stolen :)

Grunt-N-Gobble

Last year they allowed afternoon hunting here in PA for the 1st time.

I went out a few times locally but didn't do any good.  I went to my spot an hour away on another day that has alot of birds and settled in by blind near an areas where they roost.  Did very little calling overall and had two toms come to me a little before 6pm.  Killed the bigger of the two.

He was my 2nd bird for the spring.

ManshipPlantation

I will hunt afternoons early in the season but find them less productive late in the season!