OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

afternoon spring turkey hunting

Started by gob09, December 07, 2011, 01:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gob09

i'm just wondering how many of you guys hunt in the afternoon say from 3:30-4:00 oclock time till dark.
thats when i did most of my hunting this past spring had some awesome hunts but only had one kill in the afternoon anything you guys do different in the afternoon
i hunted them the only way i knew just like i would do in the morning

Crappiepro

Hey Wes,   I took a bird at 4:30 in the afternoon 2 years ago. I've never really thought about hunting past about 11 or 12 before then. I will hunt the evenings now! I look for the areas where they where roosted that morning and set up on them in a blind with decoys.  I may only call alittle or call alot if the birds alone and fired up. We got my buddies bird that way at 6 or so in the evening.

gob09

thanks brad
i love hunting them in the afternoon

HogBiologist

I love afternoon hunting.  Way different from morning hunting, but i like it.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Basser69

I have killed a lot of birds in the afternoon. I usually try and set up on a field edge, if I can near were some birds were roosting that morning. And just blind call. Most of the birds I have killed this way usually come in silent

BHhunter

I hunt the evenings a lot. I've probably killed half my birds then. I like to set up on their route to a roost and call just enough to tell when they're on their way. Easier to get in the roost area undetected before they get there. Less competition on public land also. Then I can sleep in in the morning, or have a better idea were to be the next morning.

gob09

shawn i think your missing out on a lot of excitement

guesswho

If I haven't killed one by the afternoon then I'm still hunting.  About the only thing I do different in the afternoons is I usually get a visual first then pursue him, mornings I usually hear him first then pursue him.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

davisd9

I hunt from the time they fly off the limb to the time they fly onto the limb.  Killed my better bird this year about 30-45 minutes before dark.  It takes some different tatics at times but it is fun.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Spring Creek Calls

I do a lot of late morning/early afternoon hunting. I've had a lot of success that time of day, the hens go off to lay an egg or set and the toms become much more shootable. Here's the aftermath of an afternoon hunt here in MI that I shot a good bird, the first with my own call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYLTjQa4oHg&context=C22ff0ADOEgsToPDskI-CLA2XxJNiD0b4cthomg9
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Basser69 on December 07, 2011, 05:47:35 PM
I have killed a lot of birds in the afternoon. I usually try and set up on a field edge, if I can near were some birds were roosting that morning. And just blind call. Most of the birds I have killed this way usually come in silent

I do about the same thing. Turkeys spend the entire day on their feet walking around, if legal why not hunt all day. Every minute spent hunting them helps stacks the odds in your favor.

Divenut2

Would love to hunt all day, but the public land (Stat Parks) I hunt here in IL requires hunter to stop hunting at 1:00 PM. 
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Kylongspur88

Afternoon is a lot of fun. I like to set up on a field in the afternoon and head back to where I heard them that morning before dark. The best thing about the afternoon is that tom is probably going to be lonely..

gunnerj

Iowa is 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset. If I got a tag, I got the gun. :z-guntootsmiley:

handcannon

The majority of my birds have been taken before noon time. I do like evening hunts and usually by that time I have done way too much walking and I'm ready to just sit and get still till dark. I usually try to get in the area of a roost and pop a squat waiting to hopefully hear one gobble. If I can, I try to figure out the route they are gonna take to the roost and hurry and get between them. If by chance they do skirt around me, well at least I'm close enough to know exactly where they flew up but far enough away I can sneak out back to the golf cart.