OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

tube call?

Started by wisconsinteacher, December 04, 2011, 12:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I am playing with a tube call for the first time and have a question.  I have grey and white latex and they both are very high pitched.  Are most tube calls high pitched?  How do I make it sound deeper?  To me is has a whine when I first start using the call and then ends with a break like a young man's voice.

drenalinld

Pitch is determined by tube dimensions, material it is made from, tension on the reed(s), and pressure of lip on the reed which regulates air pressure and velocity. What you can control is reed tension. In general, the more tension on the latex, this higher pitch the tube will produce. It can be too loose which makes it difficult to control. Also less lip pressure with softer air will lower the tone.

Many a real hen start with a whine. Good luck. I started getting serious with tubes a few months back and am having a blast with them.

barry

Sounds like your latex may be too thin and/or too tight.Try some thicker latex.
Also try sticking a piece of paper towel or toilet paper inside the tube this will also change the pitch by reducing air flow thru the tube

woodchip

To me a tube seems to be similar to a wingbone or trumpet:  Less air is better!  Reed tension plays a big role also.

Houndstooth Game Calls

This may help you I made this for a couple of people that bought tubes from me maybe some of this will help ya! I use .003 and .004 latex nothing heavier unless its a bigger bore tube.