turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Should i learn more than one ?

Started by sworntofun, November 29, 2011, 07:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildTigerTrout

Try to learn to use as many types of calls as you can. Practice, Practice, Practice. I try to practice on calls that I find harder to use and thus have more weapons in my turkey vest so to speak. Good luck. :gobble:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

guesswho

Learn all you can, but one at a time.  I'd rather be better than average on one than average on several.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

JohnnieB

When you hear the box call army fire up at first light, you will be glad you learned more than one type of call. Gobblers stay away from box calls on the public land I hunt, so I hit them with a crystal pot call and mouth calls.

cahaba

Get a push pin. Its as easy as any call to run. There are some good push pins out there that are easy to cluck,purr and yelp on and if you get a good one it will get some to the gun. I have a Heart of Dixie and after I modified it it sounds really good. I can run them all and I always carry my push pin.

redleg06

Quote from: guesswho on December 26, 2011, 08:32:39 PM
Learn all you can, but one at a time.  I'd rather be better than average on one than average on several.   

I agree...

There's an old saying that says "the man who chases two rabbits catches neither."   Like Guesswho said, focus on one and get good with it then move on to the next. Dont be halfway good at several calls when you could be practicing getting very good with one.

JWC07

Another point of view no one has mentioned. If it's raining many people will have a hard time with friction calls. Therefore to me, it's imperative to learn a mouth call. Also I  used to carry only one pot call. I slipped scaling a big ol rock covered creek bank and busted it. Had I not had something else to use it would've jacked up my day.

SonicBanshee

Three Crucial Words for Turkey Hunting-GOBBLE GOBBLE BANG!