OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How times have changed

Started by VAHUNTER, February 17, 2011, 06:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAHUNTER

runngun's thread made me think of how times have changed. every event in this story is 100% true. good or bad
when i was a boy everymorning i had things to do before i went to school.
i had the hogs to slop and the chickens to feed everyday. i never wore sneakers always work boots and most of the time they had the vibram sole. well you know how the things hold the mud!! well they hold chicken poop just as good .maybe a little better. LOL
i was in 6th or 7th grade and thought it would be funny to start at one end of the hall and stomp chicken poop off my boots to the other end. turned out the principle nor the the janitor thought it was very funny. i got my butt warmed up and then got to clean the entire hall.
the janitor was my supervisor during all of this. and after that day we got to be pretty good friends.
i would see him in the hall just about everyday and our conversation would always end up on the subject of hunting of some kind.
that year i bought a old single barrel 12ga. from him. he brought the gun to his office for me to look at. and for $35.00 i had my first 12ga.
after school that day i went by his office and picked up my new gun. walked down the hall out the door and got on the bus. the only question that was asked was "who did you buy that from" and "how much did you pay for it"

if a kid or a janitor was to try that today they would make the front page all over the country. my how times have changed
Good things come to those who wait

S.C.C

Yes Sir!! Great story.....Sometimes wonder myself if thing have changed for the worst!!
Nothing like the good old days and the old school hunters who started it all!!
VA,high tech is nice,but it still doesnt beat going back to the old simple stuff every now an then
when your sittin against that tree in the turkey woods on a cool fall/spring mornin! :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

Great story VAHUNTER ! My bus driver was a good hunting buddy while I was in school.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

pullit

we used to bring guns to school all the time. Most of the time, you could ride thru the parking lot and see several in the gun racks in the back windows of the trucks.
If a teacher ask for a knife, and there were several of use standing around, he or she would have at least a dozen to choose from.
We would bring guns into school and take them to shop class (which I understand they have done away with them as well as the machinery is not safe for kids to be around) and cut the stocks off and put recoil pads on.
We would refinish gun stocks all the time.

Times sure have changed, and I am afraid that it is not for the good.

Basser69

Quote from:  link=topic=1431.msg16668#msg16668 date=1297954628
Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 17, 2011, 06:37:49 AM
my how times have changed

And not for the better, I might add.

That is for dang sure! I was able to sign-off on a for that my 6th grade stepson can have his seat warmed up at school if he gets out of line.  :angel9:

new2turkey

Quote from: pullit on February 17, 2011, 08:38:25 AM
we used to bring guns to school all the time. Most of the time, you could ride thru the parking lot and see several in the gun racks in the back windows of the trucks.
If a teacher ask for a knife, and there were several of use standing around, he or she would have at least a dozen to choose from.
We would bring guns into school and take them to shop class (which I understand they have done away with them as well as the machinery is not safe for kids to be around) and cut the stocks off and put recoil pads on.
We would refinish gun stocks all the time.

Times sure have changed, and I am afraid that it is not for the good.

nope, they still got shop classes... I had them in 7th and 8th grade, and high school has them as well...   :toothy12:

Wish it was still like that, but society had made it so that if I, or my generation would have been presented in the situation, it would be a huge deal to every figure of authority in the city, more than likely.

fallsflight

I was having a similar conversation at work the other day about how times have changed.  When I was in highschool, we used to have our guns in the back windows of our trucks, etc. as we would either hunt before or after school or just got through checking a trap line and put the .22 in the window and off to school we went.  I even did an oral report in school once and one of my visual items was a real gun.  It is sad how things/times have changed. 

longspur

I was talking about that with some guys I work with just last night. Every boy at school had a pocket knife. That was part of your idenity, what kind of knife you tote. Bokers and barrlows and such. I remember the first time I ever saw one pulled out in a fight. The princible, who must have been standing there watching the fight, came over and made him put it back in his pocket. immagin that. today you wind up in a juvinile detention center. back then after the fight you go to the office and get yo hind end wore out and that was it, unless somebody tells mama. I heard an ad on radio about a child behavor program for kids that missbehave, I thought yea my mama had one. I guess juvinile detention centers make better people than belts and sticks and whatever mama can her hand on right quick. or maybe not

joshua

Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

runngun

Now they want to have kids arrested/suspended for drawing a gun, with pencil and paper.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

chatterbox

Great story, Shawn.
I remember being able to check deer rifles in at school, and pick them up after.
Hal is right. Things have not changed for the better. It's sad, really.