what size lead shot does it take to equal a hevi #7 just wondering
ROLL TIDE

surehuntsalot

I have heard a #5 lead pellet
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: 12 GAUGE on February 16, 2011, 10:26:27 PM
what size lead shot does it take to equal a hevi #7 just wondering

I don't know,  but I can tell you that most of the 7's blew clean through the neck on the bird I shot at 45yds last spring with them.  Some of the shots went through the breast and out the backside.  All the lead loads I have shot from 4 to 6's never would come close to doing that at that distance.

jtg88

Not sure but they penetrate like crazy.  Last year I shot a gobbler at 42 yards with Hevi #7s and a few low flying pellets blew all the way through breast and exited the offside.

12 GAUGE

I killed one last year at 55 yards with 7's and i mean it tore his head up to me it sounds like alot of folks dont trust 7's past 40 to 45 yards but i can say with out a dout that they will kill one dead at 55 yards without a problem
ROLL TIDE

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: jtg88 on February 16, 2011, 10:47:08 PM
Not sure but they penetrate like crazy.  Last year I shot a gobbler at 42 yards with Hevi #7s and a few low flying pellets blew all the way through breast and exited the offside.

Hey your results were like mine.    :icon_thumright:

I laugh when people say they won't kill at 50yds.  The bird I shot I would bet was closer to 50yds than it was 45yds.  It tore him to shreads.  

Check it out.

Here's where you can see a lot of shot hit him.  

And here's the backside.  

Now that ought to clear the air for those that think 7's will bounce off turkeys at 50yds.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

And that was a 24lb gobbler killed on public ground.  I shot him once he got into range where I knew I could kill him.  I have never hit one harder at that range I can tell you that.  Those 7's are devastating to say the least.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

ILIKEHEVI-13

And that was with my MAD Super Max .675 choke that is still working great and yet to cause me a problem.   :icon_thumright: It will shoot these loads better than any choke I have found in the 870.  I honestly think it's a 60yd gun with this choke and load.  

12 GAUGE

thats what i'm talkin about thats some nice pics you got there them things blew right through him and they had to go through feathers and everything  if they go through the body part of the turkey that well after going through feathers and the whole body just imagine how easy they will go through his head
ROLL TIDE

knightrider

those pics should be a sticky for those that have doubt like i did, thanks for sharing :icon_thumright:

12 GAUGE

are you shooting 3 in or 3 1/2 in out of your 870 what kind of numbers are you getin
ROLL TIDE

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: 12 GAUGE on February 16, 2011, 11:20:40 PM
thats what i'm talkin about thats some nice pics you got there them things blew right through him and they had to go through feathers and everything  if they go through the body part of the turkey that well after going through feathers and the whole body just imagine how easy they will go through his head

That's what I have been telling guys that try to tell me otherwise.  Like I said I go off of live subjects and not gellatin mass.  Seeing is believing!  I am a believer and that is coming from someone who used to think 7's were too small.  I was wrong.  But at least I can admit it.  And 7's will give you a lot denser patterns that 6's.  It's a win win situation by shooting them.  

12 GAUGE

ROLL TIDE

ILIKEHEVI-13

And here's the 23 shot I dug out of the breast.  Those 23 shot ought to prove right there alone that if they will penetrate the breast on a bird at 45-50yds that they will penetrate and kill.  

But there is still going to be those doubters.  It's kind of like you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.   :z-paddy-smiley113: