turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Devotion, Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Started by Duke0002, October 31, 2011, 11:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke0002

"Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, I will do what you have asked" (1 Kings 3:11-12).

This Bible passage really hits home.  To think that the Lord of all creation desires to impart His wisdom to people who ask for it, is an amazing thing.  God, who created all things out of nothing, is willing to make you and me wise according to His purposes.  What a fearful and wonderful thing!

Humanly speaking, wisdom comes to those who are willing to spend time and effort reading, studying, and thinking.  Such people are able to assess current affairs with discernment and make sound decisions.

Solomon was blessed with wisdom and is considered to have been the world's wisest man.  But the greatest wisdom is faith and trust in God our Savior. 

Solomon wrote, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding" (Proverbs 9:10).   The wisest man in the world counsels us to "fear" (i.e. revere, honor, respect) the Lord who reveals Himself on the pages of the Bible.   This is a reason why Christians deeply appreciate teachers, preachers and other servants of God, who point us not to themselves or their gimmicks/methods,  but to the Lord.   

The wisdom that comes down from above confesses God's compassion for us in Jesus Christ.  In God's wisdom, Jesus died and rose for each one of us.  In God's wisdom, we are made wise unto salvation. 

If the Lord of all creation says that His crowning achievement is the salvation of humanity through His Son, I believe it.  I'm awed and humbled beyond words that I, a poor miserable sinner, have been redeemed by Him. 

May all receive, through faith, God's pledge of eternal salvation.  This is the highest wisdom.

-Dale

Roostem33

Thanks so much Dale!!

Have a great week,
Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)