OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1187 remington 20 gauge (COMPACT)

Started by rock54, October 27, 2011, 08:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rock54

my wife and son (13 yrs old) are short,we hunt our turkeys out of blinds because of movement, we have been very successful in out methods.....problem......want to extend our range and mobility in the blind...was told about this gun by other women hunters/blind hunters...is shorter then the youth version and they both seem to like the feel of it as we got to play with it at out local shop....it only has a 21iinch barrell,hopen that this wont be an issue in tryn to extend our range to 30-35yds...i have a couple choke tubes to play with and a few differant boxes of shells to play with to come up with a combo that will work for us...askn for any thoughts from all you fellow hunters with any knowledge of this new setup....thanks for any thoughts...russ

surehuntsalot

I hunt with a youth model 870 20ga that has a 21" barrel and I have taken birds out to 40yds with no problems
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

redarrow

Shouldn't be a problem at all .40 yards is very doable with the 20 .With the right choke and ammo I think you will be surprised at what the little 20 will do.

hookedspur

Go with it and don't look back .!!!Nitros or hevi13 #7 and a Pure gold or Indian choke will out perform most of your buddies 12s.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

rock54

thanks guys for your time and input....we have been using my 20 gauge rem. 1100...but it is only 2 3/4 and has a 26in barrel...kinda long for blind huntn'.....will let you know how our outcome is in the spring 

gobblergls

If you are willing to pay the price and take the time, there is no finer round for the 20 gauge than one of 's handload recipes for #9 TSS.  You have to load it yourself and the shot alone will cost $5 per pop, but no commercially available shotshell manufacturer makes a more lethal turkey round than Hal's design.  A 21" bbl. is more than adequate for 40+ yards with a 20 gauge.

rock54

to surehuntsalot......what choke are you using in your rem. 870 in the pic you postd of your gun and turkey???? thanks russ

surehuntsalot

Quote from: rock54 on October 30, 2011, 05:44:18 PM
to surehuntsalot......what choke are you using in your rem. 870 in the pic you postd of your gun and turkey???? thanks russ

Tru glow .565 Gobblestopper
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

gobbler74

Yeah, I'm a fed 7 HW fan in the 20 ga... pure nasty knockdown.  :icon_thumright:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

ncturkey

Awesome looking turkey and shotgun. Is you shurshot stock made for the 20 ga. or did you modify a 12 ga. sgurshot? Thanks,nc
Quote from: surehuntsalot on October 28, 2011, 12:36:44 PM
I hunt with a youth model 870 20ga that has a 21" barrel and I have taken birds out to 40yds with no problems

Devastator

i would highly recommend a tru glo ssx 550 and fed 7's.

bigwayne17

Quote from: ncturkey on November 29, 2011, 07:34:59 PM
Awesome looking turkey and shotgun. Is you shurshot stock made for the 20 ga. or did you modify a 12 ga. sgurshot? Thanks,nc
Quote from: surehuntsalot on October 28, 2011, 12:36:44 PM

Im not surehuntsalot but I know the answer bc I have asked him before too. It is a 12 gauge stock with modifications.

Devastator

i ordered a shurshot straight through remington made for the 1187 20 took 5 minutes to put it on.

Devastator

reminton,1-800-243-9700.part #f306720 hope this helps.

Mr16Gauge

Remington Factory SF 20 ga Turkey choke and Federal 7s are death to Toms within 40 yds.

Good Luck