turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Devotion, Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Started by Duke0002, October 24, 2011, 08:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke0002

"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed" (John 8:36).

October 31 is the day many Christians observe as Reformation Day.  In our congregation, we'll observe it this Sunday.  Much can be said about the Reformation, so I'll limit myself to one aspect of it...Freedom.

A theological rule of thumb.  If we take as our beginning point the assumption that we are free, we end up in bondage.  This is illustrated in the Bible by the first century Jews (who opposed Jesus), who boastfully claimed to be Abraham's offspring, never enslaved to anyone.  It was an empty claim.

Had they forgotten their slavery in Egypt, the Babylonian captivity, and their current (first century AD) domination by the Romans?  Their claim of freedom rings hollow.

In truth, we're born in captivity to sin.  It's a hell from which we can't set ourselves free.  The Bible begins not with the assumption of freedom, but slavery.

For the believer however, beginning in slavery, we end up with freedom –the blessed liberty that is given to the children of God in Christ.  This is the truth of the Gospel that Jesus preached, and many have preached this since the day Jesus uttered these words, "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."

You are free because Jesus has set you free by His blood!  You are free to live, not in fear/uncertainty, but in relief/joy because salvation is a gift in Jesus' atoning work.  You are free from enslavement to self to live by faith in Christ and in love for your neighbor. 

Reformation is the festival of faith's freedom.  Live in your freedom, dear reader!

-Dale

BOFF

Roostem33

Thanks Dale!!       
Jody                                         
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)