OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Custom Calls

Started by YoungJake, October 18, 2011, 11:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungJake

After hunting with a cheap pot call last year I would really like to buy a nice custom slate call. What would you guys recommend as far as makers and woods go? There are so many choices its hard to know who to buy from.
Thanks!

scoot12

I have quite a few custom calls and they all have there own unique sound.  Call one of the great call makers on here and have him play you his slate call and decide from there.  Get good at running the call and learn when to make what sound to me is most important.  With that being said WillowRidgeCalls,  MarkJM, and A@J calls make some fine slates.  They are very reasonable and you can pick what wood combo you like.  You will eventually be ordering one from about everybody on here because this is addicting and they all have there own sound.  Hope this helps  Scoot

scoot12

I also forgot Joe Slaton and merocustomcalls on this site also.  I probably forgot a couple but they are all good.  Scoot

gobblingghost

Misfire also makes a great call

redarrow

.......... as well as Pappy and Lightsout.

MarkJM

here is a video of just one of many slate calls I make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eleVTdtM9RI
MuellerCustomCalls

pappy

Of all the questions asked on this site this is the number one.....so many callmakers...who to choose from? Here is the best way to answer that.....contact the maker, tell them what you're looking for, sound, volume, materials...and so on, they don't bite, get to know them and they will produce you a call that will make you happy, for sure. A slate call is one of the most poplar calls made, so you shouldn't have a problem finding one of the folks here to make you one...always, talk to the call maker, that is my best advice, pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

YoungJake

ok, thanks guys. I'll start looking around like you guys suggested.