OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Are You Sticking with Lead Next Season, or Jumping to HTL?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, October 18, 2011, 02:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I have a bunch of #4, #5, #6, 4x6, and 4x6x7 Lead Turkey loads put back, but I must confess that I always carry both HTL and Lead shells with me when I go to the woods in the spring time.

How many intend to stick with Lead, for as long as it's a legal option?  Are you ever tempted to jump on the HTL train, by all the awesome patterns people constantly post with HTL?

stinkpickle

I'll probably only carry HTL next spring, but I'll use lead in the fall...in case the occasional pheasant or quail jumps up.  :)

surehuntsalot

I have picked up some HTL loads here and there,I use them,but I also find myself still caring lead loads to the woods also(big stockpile)
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Longshanks

My plan is shoot HTL early season while the timber is still open. Also HTL in the Midwest in the wide open. Gonna shoot lead in the timber once it greens up. Little easier to get them closer for me after it leafs out. Kinda nostalgic to put em down with lead.  :icon_thumright:

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteMy plan is shoot HTL early season while the timber is still open.

That plan makes perfect sense to me.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI also find myself still caring lead loads to the woods also(big stockpile)

Roger that.

WIRE PALADIN

i have a lot of the old win XX #6's copper/lead shot, not going to spend more money on HTL ammo. I get a big stockpile of them xx on sale every year after turkey season 1/2 off.

pat
:chucknorris:
Have gun will travel to your woods to hunt

dawei

I have enough Pb turkey loads on hand to last the rest of my lifetime (61); even if I live to be 100 LOL! I'm cleanly harvesting spring gobblers out to 40yds with my 20ga gun(s) and Pb ammo. What HTL (Remington® & Hevi•Shot®) ammunition I have I use for waterfowl hunting. I forsee that I will not be buying any more shotgun ammo for the rest of my life.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI have enough Pb turkey loads on hand to last the rest of my lifetime

Roger that.

QuoteI'm cleanly harvesting spring gobblers out to 40ys with my 20ga gun(s) and Pb ammo.

Consistently good patterns at 40 Yards with a 20 Gauge and Lead shells is difficult.  What is your secret?  Can you post a pattern picture or two?

redarrow

When I switched over to a 20 I gave away all my 12 ga. lead. Only HTL for my 20.

dawei

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on November 06, 2011, 06:55:57 AMConsistently good patterns at 40 Yards with a 20 Gauge and Lead shells is difficult.  What is your secret?  Can you post a pattern picture or two?
Here you go......

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

frank1969

LEAD ONLY DO YOUR JOB AS A CALLER AND GET THEM IN CLOSE

mcgruff1533

I use both lead and HTL shells.    The choice just depends on where I'm hunting, and the setting.     I use HTL when covering a Corn field, and use HTL for the tighter stuff where a 25-30 yard shot is the farthest you can see.

I've got a pretty good stockpile of lead Turkey loads, but they'll work just fine when the Zombies attack.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI've got a pretty good stockpile of lead Turkey loads, but they'll work just fine when the Zombies attack.

I actually have so many 3" Lead Turkey loads, that it's plum silly of me to buy any more HTL.  Not to mention that I have a couple dozen 3" HTL loads to hunt with.  At some point, a man has all he'll ever need anyway.

LBSS

well im going to pattern some hevishot next week for my 10 ga . 1 3/4 oz #6. reason why lead here for winchester HV is 22$ box of 10 . and hevishot is 33$ box of 10 . i can put 102 #4 leads bbs in a 10" @ 40 yards   
with the HV loads . but for 11$ box i got to try the heviloads