Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

fall turkey...havent been seeing birds- what to do

Started by Turkey Terror, October 15, 2011, 08:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey Terror

Going out for fall turkey the last weekend in October. I talked to a guy i hunt with, today and he said he has not been getting any birds on his Cuddeback. And, in the past few weeks when hes been scouting for deer, he has not been seeing any birds.
I know there are birds on the land because i saw them during the spring season. But they definitely were not as vocal as previous years- probably because of the increase in the coyote population.
Last fall when we went out for turkey, the hunting was slow. We didn't see any flocks. And they weren't responding to my call. The farmer doesn't like fall turkey hunting because he doesn't want to push the deer before gun season. So we stayed out of all the woods.

What are some techniques/tactics for this situation.
I will go into the woods if that's the only choice.

Thanks

TRKYHTR

If your not getting any pics of turkeys over a feeder then they have moved on. Just because they were on that property in the spring doesn't mean they are there in the fall. I have several places the I hunt in the spring that have no turkeys whatsoever during the fall. The turkeys are around there somewhere, maybe just not on the property you are talking about. You just need to find them. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Turkey Terror

The entire property is approx 1100 acres. So I doubt that ALL of them have moved on. And the guy I mentioned that has the Cuddeback does not put his camera over a feeder, he just puts it on a deer trail or edge of a field.

TRKYHTR

One of the flocks I hunt in the spring moves about 3 miles in the fall. Their feed habits are just different in the fall and they are not looking for nesting habitat. Most flocks in the fall are very large 30-50 birds and they talk alot more in the fall than in the spring, early in the morning. So if there are birds in the area you should be able to find them in the early morning hours. Just get to where you can hear real good and listen for them. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

Turkey Terror

Listen for them when they are still in the trees? is that what your saying?

TRKYHTR

Yes, 1/2 hour before they fly down they will usually get real loud and you can hear them from a long way off.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

Turkey Terror

willy8457

The secret to finding fall birds is Knowing what they are eating. Turkeys come down out of the tree's in the morning and spend most of there day scratching and feeding. In the area that I hunt this year they hit the beechnuts really hard while they were available after that it was wild grapes, and corn after the farmers harvested it. Turkeys will move around on whats available for them to eat. I scout early in the fall for food sources and hunt accordling. My dad always told me if you know what there eating you will know where to hunt  later.