OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

goose call

Started by knightrider, February 16, 2011, 12:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

how many use a goose call to get shock gobbles? it works great and is just something different than what the normal crowd does, you should really give it a try if you havnt :fud:

northwoodshntr

I haven't yet and now I'm wondering why I don't. A few years back A buddy and I were set up on some nice toms roosted with hens. They were completely tight lipped until a flock of canada geese flew by honking away. The toms came unglued until the geese were out of ear shot.

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

timbrhuntr

I was just about to post about this on another thread. Alot of the spots I hunt have geese in the fields or on the small ponds near the roost. You should here them toms fire off some mournings when the geese get to honking early before they fly off. Sometimes the biggest obstacle to getting set up later on in the day is getting around those gaurds out in the field.

tjh24

What if you hunt in the mountains where there are no geese ever around?  Would a goose call work for getting birds to gobble?  is it instinctive that a bird will gobble to a sound like that or would it scare them becuase its not a natural sound?

northwoodshntr

TJH24
    I can't promise you it will but I've heard turkeys shock gobble at car and train horns. I use a "sreamin' peacock" call in Michigan and there are no naturally occuring peacocks here. It's just another tool to elicit a shock gobble. Since you don't have geese in your hunting area, who knows? It might work better for you than for those of us with geese.

hunts4ever

YES ABSOLUTELY! GOT A SPOT WHERE GEESE COME OFF THE LAKE AND IT DIDNT TAKE LONG TO FIGURE IT OUT.

knightrider

you do not have to have geese around for the call to work i hunt the mtns of east tn and it works alot better than a crow for me, hope this helps someone

tjh24

i think i will throw one of my old goose calls in my vest, its always worth a shot !

NYbassman

Yes, it does work very well, however I do not use it much. Will occasionally carry the lanyard in the truck while scouting and use a goose call, but I am not going to carry a $100-150 call in my vest when a $10 owl or crow call does the trick most times.