Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Ithaca Gun Co. 20 gauge M37 Turkeyslayer delivered. PHOTOS

Started by gobblergls, September 13, 2011, 04:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblergls

And I have one on order.  It is not listed on the internet but will be in the new catalog.  It should be here by week's end.  Gil

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

gobblergls

Quote from: gobbler336 on September 13, 2011, 09:41:02 PM
what are they selling for?

$800 ($799 actual) with camo finish.  $700 ($699) in matt blued finish.  Thumbhole stock, $800 ($799).   Same prices as the 12 gauge. They use the same pricing pyschology that used car lots employ ("This beautiful POSmobile can be yours for $5,999!"). 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

As awesome as it is for them to now offer one, it gives me very little comfort; knowing that it's the most expensive pump shotgun on the market.

A BPS can be had for $500.  An 870 Wingmaster can also be had for a little less than the M37.  However, the M37 is nice.  Maybe they're going after the top-end crowd anyway? 

gobblergls

It is expensive, but it still costs considerably less than many of the turkey automatics.  They've only made about twenty in the 20 gauge so far.  When I ordered mine there was one thumbhole model and two camos in stock.  It's a small company and I hope they survive.  They don't cut corners in making them and they don't have a lot of employees.  For example, there is one man responsible for assembling and working on the 28 gauge.  I killed my first turkey with an M37 in 1977.  I suppose a lot of the buyers are sentimentalists (old farts) like me who cut their teeth on Ithacas.

CB on the run

gobblergls

Reported weight is 6.5 lbs.  BBL. length is 24".  The Briley choke that comes with it extends .5".  FedEx has it out for delivery today.

gobblergls

The gun is rock solid.  It weighsmore than I was expecting. 7 lbs. 3oz..  The trigger is a crisp 4.5 lbs.  Suprisingly, it doesn't have trigger disconnect and is capable of slam fire. I'll get photos up tomorrow.

gobblergls

I weighed the Ithaca on a set of reliable scales and it weighed 7 lbs, 3.1 oz.
Still a little more than I expected.  Here are photos of my turkey guns.  Yes, I know.  It's more than any sane hunter needs, but I don't claim to be sane.  I am a turkey hunter.  How does a married man get away with having more than one turkey gun?  Two words of advice:  Gun Safe.

The Ithaca is the second from the bottom above the Super Bantam.
From top to bottom:
Mossy 835, Knoxx Spec Ops stock, Trijicon Reflex sight.  Wgt:  A very tubby 8 lbs., 12.9 ozs.
SBEI Aimpoint sight, Rhino Choke.  8 lbs, 4 oz.
Remington 870 Turkey/Waterfowl, 3.5" 12 gauge.  A surprising 7 lbs., 1.5 oz.
Ithaca 20 gauge Turkey Slayer.  7 lbs., 3.1 oz.  Supplied choke probably not suitable for TSS.  I'll probably scavenge the Trijicon from the 835 for it.
Mossy Super Bantam.  6 lbs., 8.5 lbs. 
All weights were determined by weighing guns as depicted.  For lightweight lethality at a bargain price, it's hard to beat the Super Bantam.  The 870 surprised me.  2 ozs. lighter than the Ithaca 20 gauge, but probably the same weight if it had rifle sights, but still, it's a 12 gauge compared with a 20.  The weight savings is probably in thinner metal, stock material and polymer trigger housing.
Here are the photos of the Ithaca.  I'll keep it and shoot it next season.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

decoykrvr

Gil,
Thanks for the pictures.  You make me realize that I'm not as crazy as I think I am.  I had one year that I decided to see how many different turkey guns I could use to harvest a bird.  I quit at 5, since the pre-hunt preparation of swapping out shells and guns was negatively affecting my ability to sleep and giving me bad dreams ie. 12 gauge shotgun w/ nothing but 10 gauge shells.  I'll be interested in hearing how the new Ithaca shoots.
Craig

gobblergls

Quote from: JohnDoe on September 18, 2011, 01:32:08 AM

Got rid of mine cause it would "Slam Fire". Very much an UNSAFE quality.
Congrats on your new Slayer though.

John

John

Today I asked customer service about "slam firing".  I was told that it shouldn't slam fire in the 3" because of the length of hammer riding firing pin would dissipate energy to the extent that pin wouldn't ignite primer.  However, if trigger depressed while cycling slide after firing, the live round in chamber would have to be cycled out to re-cock hammer. Gil

gobblergls

Quote from: decoykrvr on September 19, 2011, 12:24:53 PM
 You make me realize that I'm not as crazy as I think I am.  
Craig, Just because someone might be as crazy or crazier than you doesn't mean that you are not as crazy as you think you are. ;)
In addition to the slam firing issue I discussed with the customer rep today, I was  told that the turkey barrels were deliberately made heavier than the standard barrels.  Additionally, aftermarket chokes must be Invector +, Winchester or Browning. Gil

decoykrvr

Gil,
I know that I'm crazier than a loon, but the fact that I know I'm crazy makes me more sane than the majority of people who think they're sane, but are, in actuality, crazy as hell.  I also find comfort in associating  w/ people who share my peccadillos, idiosyncrasies, and particularities.  As a full time resident of a rubber room, I'll never be the first to cast a stone.
Craig