News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Lead Slinger

Started by BrowningGuy88, February 15, 2011, 06:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrowningGuy88

Hey guys,

I finally tuned my 870 20 guage up and am tight out past 50 yards with lead, but I inherited a new in the box Model 12 Winchester with a 30" full choke barrel. It is no longer new in the box for those that would question shooting it. I am thinking I will get some Kent Fast Lead and Fiocchi Golden pheasant #5's and try them. It has 2 3/4" chamber only. I figure what is the difference since It will sling 1 1/8 oz of shot at 1400 fps and my 20 ga only throw 1 1/4 at 1185 fps.

Just thinking about trying it out once or twice on a gobbler. It will be used mainly for open field dove hunting.

Daman

stinkpickle

Quote from: Daman on February 15, 2011, 06:10:14 PM
Hey guys,

I finally tuned my 870 20 guage up and am tight out past 50 yards with lead, but I inherited a new in the box Model 12 Winchester with a 30" full choke barrel. It is no longer new in the box for those that would question shooting it. I am thinking I will get some Kent Fast Lead and Fiocchi Golden pheasant #5's and try them. It has 2 3/4" chamber only. I figure what is the difference since It will sling 1 1/8 oz of shot at 1400 fps and my 20 ga only throw 1 1/4 at 1185 fps.

Just thinking about trying it out once or twice on a gobbler. It will be used mainly for open field dove hunting.

Daman

A N-I-B Model 12?  Wait a minute...what are those worth UNFIRED???   !

BrowningGuy88

No idea. Probably $1500. It does not matter because it will never be sold as long as I am alive. Guns are tools to me --- beautiful tools yes, but tools none the less. I will take care of it and it will not even see the briar thickets I dive in with the 870, but around the open bottoms and field edges where I won't tear it to pieces, it will be a fine hunting gun.

Daman

stinkpickle

Quote from: Daman on February 15, 2011, 06:16:53 PM
No idea. Probably $1500. It does not matter because it will never be sold as long as I am alive. Guns are tools to me --- beautiful tools yes, but tools none the less. I will take care of it and it will not even see the briar thickets I dive in with the 870, but around the open bottoms and field edges where I won't tear it to pieces, it will be a fine hunting gun.

Daman

OK...just making sure you were aware that.  ;)

stinkpickle

Oh yeah...I would start with 1 1/2oz of #6's first.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 15, 2011, 06:18:53 PM

Daman

Thanks. I am sorry if I came over as being smart. I know it is valuable and was more valuable, but I know the man who bought it intended to use it but passed before he got a chance. My great uncle bought it last year to bird hunt from one of his friends so it isn't like it has been in the family 80 years or anything..

And I will try the # 6's first.

Daman

stinkpickle

Quote from: Daman on February 15, 2011, 06:23:47 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on February 15, 2011, 06:18:53 PM

Daman

Thanks. I am sorry if I came over as being smart. I know it is valuable and was more valuable, but I know the man who bought it intended to use it but passed before he got a chance. My great uncle bought it last year to bird hunt from one of his friends so it isn't like it has been in the family 80 years or anything..

And I will try the # 6's first.

Daman

It's gotta start it's life sometime.  Good luck with it, and make sure you post pics of it with a dead gobbler.  :)

R AJ

My question is what lead load,choke,gun  are you using to be confident in shooting out to 50 yards ? This is good info.

Love the Win Model 12s , as they are a truly fine piece of machined work. I don't blame you as a gun in a box is worthless to me. That is like a Stratavarus never getting to play perhaps?

BrowningGuy88

In my 870, I shoot a Truglo Strut Stopper or Gobble Stopper Extreme (not sure which it is) with 3" 1 1/4 oz Remington Nitro #5's. I have lengthened the forcing cone and polished the barrel and have fiber optic sights. I don't have a 10" pellet count at any distance but the shoot and see turkey targets I shoot show 50 pellets in the head and neck at 40 yards and 35 - 38 pellets in the head and neck at 50. I have killed several gobblers 45 to 50 long steps which I figure is somewhere close to 44 - 48 yards. I will not shoot one on purpose that far, but it gives me that 10 extra mis-judged yards.

Daman

BrowningGuy88

Well I stopped by the sporting goods store yesterday and bought some turkey shells for the Winchester.

I got all Winchester 2 3/4" 1.5 ounce. #4's at 1260 fps, #5's at 1300 fps and #6's at 1300 fps.

I am going to pattern this weekend. Hopefully I will get 125-140 in the 10" at 30 with 5's or 6's. Although for me I will shot what ever puts the most pellets in the turkey head and neck on the shoot and see target at 35 steps. I plan to shoot first shot 5 or 6 shot and backup with 4's. That depends on patterning though. I found some Hevi 7.5's in 2 3/4" and thought about trying them, but $30 for 10 shells turned me off real quick!!!!

I will update on patterning as it proceeds.

Daman

hookedspur

Quote from: Daman on February 15, 2011, 06:10:14 PM
Hey guys,

Daman
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions