OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

sxs or O/U

Started by Wingmaster, February 15, 2011, 05:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingmaster

Are there any 20 ga SxS or O/U users out there.

gaboy

There are over on GON.com's turkey hunting forum.

thundrchikin

I have a CZ-Ringneck 20 ga.SxS that I absolutley love. I shoot a Trulock extra full in the right and a Carlsons Mod. in the left with Hevi-13 7's in both. I love the options a person has with the two barrels, up close mod, farther out the x-tra full.

R AJ

I do the O/U at times and Dawei is a SxS man.

archdriver

I have  hunted  extensively with  both,   I  find  that you  stretch the  equipment when you  shoot big  loads ( 3" ) ....  these are  relatively  light guns with  fixed  breech, and when  you
put magnum  loads ,  you really  exaggerate the recoil effect and it effects  the  point  of  impact.   in  other  words,,   with  light loads,  my  two  barrels shoot pretty much to the  same  point of  aim ,,,,  but  the  more I increase the power, the  more  those  points of  impact are  affected,    

In  my  opinion,  double  barrels are  most  effective and fun  to  shoot in  wing shooting situation.  The  movement of the  gun  as  you  swing  thru the shot makes  a  double  barrel a great  gun.  wing  shooting is a  dynamic  sport,   fluid, moving ,  follow thru.....    Turkey hunting is sharp shooting,  static position,  careful  aiming like  a rifle  ,,,, and  in  that  sense, I  think  the auto matics are  better  suited.

I  can  handle  3"  20 ga  loads pretty well,  but  with the  12 ga , i  wouldnt  want  to  shoot anything bigger  than 2.75" shells.

ArchDriver

WyoHunter

I agree with archdriver in his response. Turkey hunting is more about aiming where wingshooting is more about pointing. I own 20 ga. shotguns in  O/U, SxS and semi-auto and choose the semi-auto for turkey hunting. Shoot a 3" turkey load in a 20 ga. or 12 ga. in an O/U or Sxs and you know about the old saying "kills on both ends". We each have our reasons for what we choose to hunt with so enjoy the experience!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

thundrchikin

I use the double in the fall turkey season while hunting with my dog,mostly because it just "feels"right. I've been using the 870 20ga. in the spring.

DocHolliday

I respectfully beg to differ on the effect of recoil.  In regards to a followup shot, you would be most correct.  For a initial shot not so much.  With proper sights and range time a SxS or O/U can be made to do just what you want it to.  I have exclusively used 20 ga doubles for some time now.  I have all mine choked real tight for way out yonder and one for up close and personal surprises.  I shoot cylinder out of my right barrel and its deadly to 30.  From 20 out the left barrel is death personified.  With the Cylinder or ImpCyl chokes I dont really care if the POI is exactly the same.  I set the sights for the far barrel and the near is real good.  Over the last several years most of my turkeys have been shot with the open barrel and from 5-25 yds.  DEAD! Out of one of my guns i put 365 in a 10" circle at 40 yds (lasered)

I shoot a Ruger Red Label 20, CZ Bobwhite 20 and Stoeger Uplander 20 (responsible for the above pattern).  All will shoot better than I can!
Doc

Wingmaster

Doc Holliday, you are the man I need to talk to.  I have plenty of turkey gun set ups (in the process of a new one now) but I've been thinking of trying something a little different.  I want a sxs set up that won't break the bank and the stoeger uplander is the gun I had in mind.  I like the option of being able to choose my posin the twin barrell offers.  It will be a little different than what most folks are use to seeing in the modern turkey woods, but I want to try one out.  What choke/shell produced the 365 #

DocHolliday

WyoHunter

WOW! Impressive pattern Doc!   :newmascot:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

dawei

I have a Remington® SPR220 (Baikal® IZH-43) 20ga SxS. I placed two Colonial Arms extended turkey chokes on it, .570" and .575". My first shot, right barrel, front trigger, .570" choke is a load of Remington® Nitro-Turkey® 1¼oz #5Pb (NT20M5). Second shot left barrel, back trigger, .575" choke is Federal® Flitecontrol® Mag-Shok® 1 5/16oz #4Pb (PFC258 4). In WA state we must use #4 or smaller shot.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given