OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Magnum Blend with M2 and Hevi-shot choke

Started by VaRidgeRunner, August 30, 2011, 12:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

That m2 is a nice gun. Hevi shot could only help  :icon_thumright:   :welcomeOG:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

n2deer

I had my sights come loose on my Sbe one rime after using it for 5you years. They didn't come off, I just noticed it one day.

Tightened back up and good to go. I don't really care for scopes. I use the Williams fire sights on 3 guns.

Best of luck with whatever you use.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: VaRidgeRunner on August 30, 2011, 03:07:27 PM
So far I love the gun; the only thing that I can say bad about it is that it has alot of recoil (noncomforttech stock).  My dad is someone who doesnt mind recoil and he even said that it kicks pretty hard.  But other than that it throws up really nice, and just feels natural in your hands.

-I hate that I have to get some kind of scope b/c i really like shooting with just the bead. But you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.  What kind of sites do you all recommend.

Note: the aluminum reciever isnt drilled or tapped

I'd really recommend the "Pro Series" from Truglo. They are all metal, have fiber optics, give you a great sight picture and are very durable. They clamp on your rib and are fully windage and elevation adjustable. You can take them off for waterfowl or other seasons and as long as you put them back in the same place, you they'll stay zeroed.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. A Shooter's Friend Recoil Pad will take care of that recoil for you and they are less than $20.00.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

West Augusta

I agree with your choice of Mag Blends. A deadly load.  I bought 3 more boxes last saturday.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

VaRidgeRunner

allaboutshooting,
   I really like that truglo proseries site and the versatility it will bring.  My only question about the pro series would be how prone the screws are to stripping?

After reading reviews and looking at pictures I like the Burris spead bead as well.  But it is more expensive by a wide margin and more difficult to take on and off.

Im just glad I have a lot of time to make this decision.

gobbler74

Williams fire sights and tru glo pro. Those are the only two aftermarket open sights I'd fool with. I would avoid any stick on that use tape, clip on or magnetic fiber optics.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WU70230

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Firearm-Components/Sights%7C/pc/104792580/c/104717880/sc/105574680/Truglo174-Pro-Series-Magnum-Gobble-Dot8482/742447.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-firearm-components-sights%2F_%2FN-1102566%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105574680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMM%253Bcat104717880&WTz_l=SBC%3BMM%3Bcat104717880%3Bcat105574680

The Williams are universal and have indentions for mounting to various rib widths. The tru glos can be ordered by specific rib width  
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I've never really understood guys who have multiple shotguns that aren't designated for specific purposes.

You mentioned you've got an 870.... well, why not shoot that for skeet and have the M2 specifically for turkey hunting?  Or vice versa?

You can't go wrong with Williams Firesights, a Burris red-dot optic (Fast Fire II or a Speed Bead), or a quality scope (nikon turkey pro/pentax lightseeker/leupold turkey scope).  I've got Firesights on my 870 Super Mag and a Pentax Lightseeker 2.5x on my Browning Silver.

Both styles have their benefits and disadvantages but none of my turkey guns serve any purpose other than to be turkey hunted.

Congrats on purchasing a great gun.

VaRidgeRunner

Well I have decided to use the 870 as a home defense gun; it has a reallly short barrell, and is easy to pull out from under the bed.  Thats why I wanted the m2 to multi-task.  I know it sounds like I want my cake and eat it too.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: VaRidgeRunner on September 01, 2011, 08:47:23 AM
allaboutshooting,
   I really like that truglo proseries site and the versatility it will bring.  My only question about the pro series would be how prone the screws are to stripping?

After reading reviews and looking at pictures I like the Burris spead bead as well.  But it is more expensive by a wide margin and more difficult to take on and off.

Im just glad I have a lot of time to make this decision.

The "Pro Series" sights are really good. I use them on a number of guns.

I always have a tendency to over-tighten everything. I've learned over the years to be more "judicious" when tightening screws.

It is possible to over- tighten the screws on the sights, especially on the elevation/windage set screw. That one uses a very small wrench (furnished) and it does not take much torque on it to tighten it.

I've shot literally hundreds of rounds of 3" turkey loads through guns with these sights and not had them move or lose zero. Just use a "gentle touch" on the windage/elevation set screw.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."