OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Magnum Blend with M2 and Hevi-shot choke

Started by VaRidgeRunner, August 30, 2011, 12:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaRidgeRunner

To preface I am a 25 year old die hard turkey hunter from Va, that hunts  in the mountains of Alleghany and Bath counties. I Recently bought a Benelli M2 American 3"about a month ago for $799.  I know this sounds crazy but before I bought this gun I had never patterned my shotgun for turkey hunting.  And to tell you the truth it was the last thing on my list to be concerned about when turkey hunting.  And until this past turkey season I hadnt missed a gobbler (15 yards I might add).  I know that miss wasnt the guns fault (Remington 870) but I wanted a semi auto and found a good deal.  Well that miss shed new light on what i should do to prepare for the spring. 
-  I started reading this addicting forum to find a choke and ammo to use.  Well I decided to try Magnum blend with the new Hevi-shot .667 choke;and seemed to have found good results inside a 10inch circle.

30 yards- 349
40 yards- 221
50 yards-116

Pattern did shoot about 5 inches low from POA

TnTurk

mossy835

You are now hooked and a scope of your choice will fix the POI to POA rapidly.

drenalinld

Welcome to OG! That's a deadly combo. Get you a sight to correct POI and bust some heads!

VaRidgeRunner

So far I love the gun; the only thing that I can say bad about it is that it has alot of recoil (noncomforttech stock).  My dad is someone who doesnt mind recoil and he even said that it kicks pretty hard.  But other than that it throws up really nice, and just feels natural in your hands.

-I hate that I have to get some kind of scope b/c i really like shooting with just the bead. But you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.  What kind of sites do you all recommend.

Note: the aluminum reciever isnt drilled or tapped

vaturkey

I would have thought a Benelli M2 would be drilled & tapped. Is it camo dipped ? If it is , look for the indentions under the camo. A B-Square mount will probably work also.

vaturkey  :newmascot: 
Vaturkey

dirt road ninja

Truglow makes a very solid set of sights that will clamp on the vent. rib, I believe they are named Gobbler Stoppers. I have a set on my 835 and the only flaw is that the front blade fiber optics are not as bright as the rear. They are very easy to install, easy to adjust, and have proved to be very durable for me. You can find them for around forty bucks. I would recommend using loc-tite when installing if you are planning on strictly hunting turkey with it.

Looks like you found a great choke/ammo combination right off the bat. Good luck
:welcomeOG:

dirt road ninja

Here is a pic of what I have and a link to truglow. I know I did not pay that much for mine.

http://www.truglosights.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

[attachment deleted by admin]

VaRidgeRunner

dirt road ninja-
yea I think i may have got lucky and found a good combo with this gun on the first try.  In my 870 I was using either Remington Nitro Pb #5's or the hevi shot #5's 1 5/8 oz.  Also have you had the truglo site move on you, I am just a little leary of them coming loose with the recoil?  If not I am prolly interested in that route

vaturkey
The gun isnt dipped in camo, it just has the max 4 camo on the stock and forearm, I would like to have it dipped in a different camo though.

WyoHunter

Good pattern #'s for sure. I'd put a scope on it and be ready for next spring!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

chipper

VaRidgeRunner

One positive thing with the speed bead seems to be that I will not need to drill/tap the reciever.  And I can take it off after turkey season and use the gun for skeet. 

Will it stay zeroed after taking it off the gun?

drenalinld

Quote from: VaRidgeRunner on August 31, 2011, 09:12:45 AM
One positive thing with the speed bead seems to be that I will not need to drill/tap the reciever.  And I can take it off after turkey season and use the gun for skeet. 

Will it stay zeroed after taking it off the gun?

Don't count on it. Always verify POI when installing any sighting device.

davisd9

I have a camoed bushnell shotgun scope in with the Circle-x crosshair if you are interested.  If so then PM me and we can talk. If not that is fine also, good luck.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

Quote from: VaRidgeRunner on August 30, 2011, 04:04:29 PM
dirt road ninja-
yea I think i may have got lucky and found a good combo with this gun on the first try.  In my 870 I was using either Remington Nitro Pb #5's or the hevi shot #5's 1 5/8 oz.  Also have you had the truglo site move on you, I am just a little leary of them coming loose with the recoil?  If not I am prolly interested in that route

I have yet to have any problems with it. Since the start of last turkey season I've run at least 30 - 40 3.5" turkey loads thru it without a shift. I have no worries with it in the woods. In my opinion you have a better chance of a scope moving on you then these sights.
Another option is having your tube bent to shoot true to the bead, but then you will have to stick it out with that choke. I have found (at least with my guns) that everytime I try a different choke my POI shifts some.

vaturkey
The gun isnt dipped in camo, it just has the max 4 camo on the stock and forearm, I would like to have it dipped in a different camo though.