turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#4 lead enough to kill a Fox?

Started by mcgruff1533, August 22, 2011, 10:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgruff1533

I've had a good size red Fox hanging around my house for the past couple of weeks.     I've personally seen the animal 3 times, and my dog has been barking at what seemed like nothing on several occasions.

My cats stay indoors, but I'm worried my 18 pound King Charles Cavalier Spaniel might get attacked and bitten by this Fox if provoked.

Needless to say, I want this Fox to move somewhere else either on his own accord, or the business end of my shotgun.

I have some Federal 3"-1.75 oz- #4 lead shells that I'm thinking will be enough to cleanly take this Fox.      I will use my predator call to hopefully bring the Fox within shotgun range, and I just want to make sure lead #4's will do the job. 

What do you guys think?

Reloader

#6s would even be enough at less than 40 with a tight pattern. 

Deputy 14

When it comes to vermin a fox has about the lowest will to live of all. You should be able to knock it down stone dead with 4's. I seriously doubt that you would have a problem with the fox ever bothering the dog though.

Todd1700

Quotebut I'm worried my 18 pound King Charles Cavalier Spaniel might get attacked and bitten by this Fox if provoked.

Then I'd stop worrying. Average weight of a fox is probably about 10lbs maybe. I doubt seriously it would try to take on any animal twice it's own weight that is capable of fighting back like a dog.

That said however, yes indeed number 4 lead will kill a fox as far as your gun will hold a decent pattern.

mcgruff1533

Thanks for the input fellers.    I'll leave things be for another week or so and hope the Fox moves along.      If it becomes a problem, I'll have to take care of business.

decoykrvr

In all probability, the fox is hunting rodents, small birds and reptiles in your vicinity.  When the fox significantly reduces the availability of prey, it will relocate to a more favorable hunting area since, unlike coyotes, cats and  dogs the size of yours are not normal prey species, especially in the summer when game is abundant.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Don't get caught shooting the fox out of season.  I know.  Cost me $90 total.  That's $50 fine plus $40 court costs.  It could have been a max of $500 fine and $40 court costs.  But I paid my fine and told the warden that gave me the ticket that I don't want them around. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

But one 25-06 bullet dropped the fox in its tracks.   :toothy12:

Damn neighbor turned me in.  Glad he moved years ago.  No more foxes around my house.  But I did see one up on top the hill.  He better stay up there too.   

mcgruff1533

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on August 22, 2011, 01:57:59 PM
Don't get caught shooting the fox out of season.  I know.  Cost me $90 total.  That's $50 fine plus $40 court costs.  It could have been a max of $500 fine and $40 court costs.  But I paid my fine and told the warden that gave me the ticket that I don't want them around. 

Good info!   At least the conservation officer's are somewhat understanding in Michigan.     State law allows land owners to shoot nuisance animals if they're doing or about to do damage.     Of course, there's a bit of interpretation to whats "doing or about to do damage", but I don't anticipate any problems.

As I mentioned before, I'll give the Fox an opportunity to leave the area on his own behalf.

In an effort to address another poster, yes... I do have Turkey's in the area and just recently saw a few hens with their poults.    I'm almost wondering if those birds are the reason Mr. Fox is hanging in the neighborhood.

beagler

I've killed more fox than I can remember shooting regular 3" #4 shot. That's all we ever used when running my dad's foxhounds.
Never Misses

mcgruff1533

It appears this Fox has just become a nuisance.     Talked to a neighbor lady this morning, she says her cat just disappeared and another neighbor just lost 3 Chickens.

surehuntsalot

#4's are more than enough to do the job
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WyoHunter

I killed a coyote at 42 yards with 12 ga. Winchester Supreme XX 3" load of 6's and rolled him dead. He never moved a muscle! Coyotes are much tougher than foxes.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

mcgruff1533

No Fox yet, but I did use a Federal FCW 3"-1.75oz-#4 shell to take care of a Raccoon that was stealing Corn and Peaches from my deck.

He was about 50 feet up in a tree and one shell from my .665" Undertaker dropped that Coon straight to the ground like a sack of taters.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase