turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting with a rifle

Started by Jourdan_D, February 06, 2011, 06:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgruff1533

Only if it were a survival situation.    At that point, anything goes if the alternative is starving.

hoyt

Back in the early 70's when it was legal in Georgia I killed 5 or 6 spring gobblers using a .22 rim fire with scope. I would call them in to shotgun range...about 30yds back then for me and shoot them in the wing butt. Never had one flop more than 5 yds from were I shot it.

I have no desire to use anything but shotguns anymore. Don't really have a desire to shoot one with a bow and I use recurve.  I'd rather hunt them with my flintlocks. If I kill one early in the season I may give the recurve a try...just too hard to draw on them things without being seen unless you hunt from a blind, which I don't.

chatterbox

Not legal in NH, but wouldn't use one even if it was.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

no woodsmanship required.
no calling skill required.
no knowledge of turkeys in general required.

i'll go so far as to say this: if you someone isn't skilled enough to call a turkey within shotgun range, or at least crawl to get within shotgun range...
they shouldn't be able to disgrace a turkey by shooting it with a rifle.

JMHO

Jourdan_D

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 07, 2011, 08:13:19 PM

no woodsmanship required.
no calling skill required.
no knowledge of turkeys in general required.

i'll go so far as to say this: if you someone isn't skilled enough to call a turkey within shotgun range, or at least crawl to get within shotgun range...
they shouldn't be able to disgrace a turkey by shooting it with a rifle.

JMHO

Okay so i guess my idea of "turkey hunting with a rifle" is a little bit diffeent hen everybody else.  road hunting/ driving round with ATV and blasting turkeys (or any animal) with rifle is not hunting period!!!!!! 

When i think hunting turkey with a rifle i was talking about setting up and calling, run and gun, etc or doing what ever you do now but instead of a shotgun use a small bore rifle, lets say for example use a 223 and go for base of throat shots or head shots.

bassmaster1228

yea i would.... that big ol tom that hangs out on the powerline would finaly die. to bad it aint legal. or i would keep my rifle in the truck

savduck

Georgia Boy

runngun

No way, would not consider shooting a turkey with a rifle!!!!! That aint turkey hunting, period
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

outlaw

Im a good guy !!!

hookedspur

I have lived in WV all my life and haven't used a rifle yet. But I appreciate the right to make the choice . :thanks:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

stinkpickle

If you don't do it the way I do it...you're wrong!   :D

Ruger M77

Here in pennsylvania we can use rifles in the fall and I do. I have never shot a turkey outa shotgun range. Whats the difference if i shoot a turkey at 40yds with my 12ga or 22mag?Some guys act like ura slob as soon as u mention killing a turkey with a rifle.
I eat therefore I hunt

Gobble!

I would just throw out 100lbs of corn and see how many i could kill in a day from 300 yards

:popcorn: