turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting with a rifle

Started by Jourdan_D, February 06, 2011, 06:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshua

It would be called turkey killin instead of turkey hunting.  I like the hunting part. :newmascot:
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

BOFF

Sure would. I'd use an over and under 12ga. and 30-06.  I see too many coyotes past 50 yards while turkey hunting. I'd use the rifle on the yotes, and the 12ga. on the birds!!

:z-guntootsmiley:

God Bless,
David B.

shootumindaface

What if a guy called them inside 40 yards and shot them in the head, would it be any less sporting?

jbrown

With a rifle all you got is a dead turkey...and it is very unsafe.

n2deer

Quote from: jbrown on February 07, 2011, 09:53:46 AM
???

How so?

knightrider

Quote from: jbrown on February 07, 2011, 09:53:46 AM
no different than deer hunting on the safety issue :bike2:

redarrow

Shotgun,bow,or crossbow for me. I don't have a problem with anyone shooting a rifle where legal,but I wouldn't.

Skeeterbait

Well probably the best thing for safety sake in deer hunting is the practice of hunting from an elevated position.  That way most of the time you are shooting into the ground.  I know not everyone or every where do they hunt elevated but in the south east is makes a difference safety wise.  Turkey hunting from a ground position could let a rifle bullet travel a long ways.  So I think there is a difference safety wise using rifle for turkey or deer.

sugarray

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 07, 2011, 10:27:29 AM
Well probably the best thing for safety sake in deer hunting is the practice of hunting from an elevated position.  That way most of the time you are shooting into the ground.  I know not everyone or every where do they hunt elevated but in the south east is makes a difference safety wise.  Turkey hunting from a ground position could let a rifle bullet travel a long ways.  So I think there is a difference safety wise using rifle for turkey or deer.
:agreed:

Also, when you are set up on a bird and someone moves in with a rifle to take that bird and can't see you.  Man, that is a huge risk to the turkey hunter without orange.  At least with a shot gun you know the guy is close and can let him know you are there.  With a rifle you may never see him.  A pass through to the hunter is a very real threat.

deadbuck

I have killed a few with a rifle, and am proud of those kills just like the scattergun kills. However, it is dangerous and that is why I no longer do it.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: CASH on February 06, 2011, 06:59:26 PM
No.  It wouldn't be turkey hunting.  Calling them in close.  It'd be turkey sniping.
i agree!!! in VA it is legal to use a rifle spring or fall. i wish they would change that.
the whole sport of turkey hunting for me is getting them close. if you fail to do so he lives another day.
most of my great hunts i come home empty handed
Good things come to those who wait

WyoHunter

Quote from: CASH on February 06, 2011, 06:59:26 PM
No.  It wouldn't be turkey hunting.  Calling them in close.  It'd be turkey sniping.
Exactly! We have the option to use a rifle in spring season here in Wyoming. I'm dead set against it! Road hunting and riding around on ATVs looking for turkeys to shoot at long range is a common practice here. Obviously these "hunters" aren't real turkey hunters. I see nothing wrong with stalking turkeys with a shotgun because you still have to get within range and I've killed turkeys using this method of hunting. Although calling is my preferred way to kill a gobbler sometimes it takes a different strategy to bring that gobbler to bag that's why they call it turkey hunting IMO.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

hobbes

I have no interest in hunting them with a rifle.

neal

I have a tough time with a shotgun sometimes! Don't need one projectile in the air I need lots!! :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

mike103

From the New York State DEC web site:

Here are some rules you need to know:

You will need a small game hunting license and a turkey permit.
You may hunt with a bow.
You may hunt with a shotgun or handgun only when using shot no larger than #2 and no smaller than #8.
You may not take a turkey with a rifle, or with a handgun firing a bullet.
You must fill out the tag which comes with your permit and attach it to any turkey you shoot immediately.
Be sure to consult your hunting regulations guide for other rules.

Always thought one of those Savage .222 or .223 over 20 gauge combo's would be cool.