OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

tried to polished barrel

Started by the Ward, August 12, 2011, 07:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

well, i tried to polish my barrel on my old bps today.pretty much followed the posts here and it went ok.when i cleaned out the barrel i could notice a very fine crosshatch pattern of scratches.is that normal?or did i goof up?the pattern looks like when you hone a cylinder.doesn't shine any better than before i started.thanks for any suggestions!

the Ward

Thanks for the advice! That could be it.I know i've shot alot of steel shot out of it in the past as it was my dual purpose gun for a long time.I think your right i probably need to make more passes than i did.I think i was afraid to do too many!I kept it really lubed up but i did stop a few times to clean out the barrel real good and relubed before continuing.I'll try the  progressivy finer scotch brite and see where i end up.I also wasn't sure what the final finish should look like.On close inspection my barrel looks to be pretty beat from all those waterfowl loads.Thank you very much Mr 2ounce i will certainly try your suggestions!

VAHUNTER

i always use the green scotch bright. seems to have the perfect grit for polishing. do not be afraid of over polishing. unless you have a chromed lined barrel there is no such thing as over polishing. the more the better!!
like 2ounce stated use plenty of Kroil as well as J&B . i usually do around 150 or so with the bore cleaner and 150 with the bore bright.
Good things come to those who wait

the Ward

Thanks guys for all the help!I went back at it last nite and followed your suggestions and it came out much,much better.I still see some weird marks near the muzzle right before the screw in choke.I mite run the barrel over to my gunsmith so he can look at it.I think its from the steel shot though.That old stuff we used to shoot didn't protect the barrels as much as this new stuff does today.All i know for sure is that it looks WAY better now!Thanks again for all your help!

gobbler74

I use jb's, kroil and steel wool in my process, Polish out with 000 and 0000 grade depending on the factory finish. My bps took a mirror like finish with 0000 grade. 
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

keyser12ga

Quote from: the Ward on August 16, 2011, 01:19:15 PM
I still see some weird marks near the muzzle right before the screw in choke.

What choke did you have in it when you were polishing?  You need to use a really open choke or else the rod binds/flexes a little when you hit the choke and causes those marks.