OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkeys in the thick Stuff

Started by ElkTurkMan, February 06, 2011, 06:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootumindaface

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 09, 2011, 12:35:23 AM
Most of the land I hunt is thick.  Not clear cut thick but it has thick saplings, mountain laurel, briars but the majority is those hawthorn bushes (I think thats what they are called.  They have about 2" long thorns that are sharp and thick.  Tough enough to penetrate the soles of running shoes (ask me how I know).  In the fall they are full of red berries and the turkeys tear them up! 
I had never ever seen thorns like that until KS last year.. It was windy and I mean windy, 40MPH constant with gusts much more than that..

The GF and I were slipping down a river bottom and a big gust of wind picked up and one of them branches with the thorns came whipping at me.. Needless to say this 2 inch dagger goes through my hat and sticks in my fore head... I pulled it out and bled the rest of the hunt

st4wheel

LIMBHANGER

turkey_slayer

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 09, 2011, 10:35:25 AM
Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 09, 2011, 12:35:23 AM
Most of the land I hunt is thick.  Not clear cut thick but it has thick saplings, mountain laurel, briars but the majority is those hawthorn bushes (I think thats what they are called.  They have about 2" long thorns that are sharp and thick.  Tough enough to penetrate the soles of running shoes (ask me how I know).  In the fall they are full of red berries and the turkeys tear them up!  
I had never ever seen thorns like that until KS last year.. It was windy and I mean windy, 40MPH constant with gusts much more than that..

The GF and I were slipping down a river bottom and a big gust of wind picked up and one of them branches with the thorns came whipping at me.. Needless to say this 2 inch dagger goes through my hat and sticks in my fore head... I pulled it out and bled the rest of the hunt

Yep that be them  :TooFunny: They remind me of the thorns on locust trees except there bushes.  They can penetrate deep and as you found out cause holes big enough to bleed for a while.  Im going up there saturday to shed hunt and yote hunt so I will snap a pic for you guys.

mossybird

Yes sir they will! Especially in my area...Too many dang coyotes that scare them into it. But heck, that's what the shotguns for, right?

hunts4ever

IVE HAD THEM MANY TIMES HUNKER DOWN IN THICKETS AND COVER TO GET AWAY FROM ME. IVE JUMPED THEM  LIKE QUAIL MANY TIMES AND LET ME TELL YOU WHAT, A 20 POUND BIRD GETTIN UP IN YOUR FACE IS QUITE A SHOCK. HERE WE HAVE SMALL PATCHES OF WOODS AND ALOT OF THICK COVER. I THINK THEY JUST HAVE ADAPTED TO GETTING AWAY FROM PREDATORS IN THESE AREAS.

hookedspur

Quote from: jbrown on February 07, 2011, 03:35:47 PM
I agree with Hawk...I don't see many turkeys in the cold months, but see them in every field come early spring. The thick stuff overs cover and more winter food.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

furtracker

Interesting stuff...seems like the birds around here avoid the thicker cover.