turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkeys in the thick Stuff

Started by ElkTurkMan, February 06, 2011, 06:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElkTurkMan

Yesterday I was walking my lease.  I ended up bumping four toms in some pretty nasty cover.  I was really surprised they were in there.  I would have thought they would steer clear from ground like this.  I guess What I'm asking is do y'all think turkeys regularly use thickets and thick cover?  We also have a big clear cut on this lease that is equally as knarly, and I know they walk the road through the clear cut, but now I wonder if they actually get into the nasty patches in the clear cut.   I hope this is not a stupid question, I've just never come across birds in this type of cover. 

dirtnap

They will pile right into a bay, cutdown, or briar patch if forced. 

ElkTurkMan

Thanks for the feed back dirtnap.  What puzzles me is there is no pressure on them right now.  Perhaps maybe predators may have them hunkerd down in there? 

maustypsu

Quote from: Hawken on February 06, 2011, 09:36:34 PM
Thanks for the feed back dirtnap.  What puzzles me is there is no pressure on them right now.  Perhaps maybe predators may have them hunkerd down in there? 

Yep, they are always under pressure.  More from predators than from humans in most cases.

unclerick

I noticed last year around here that the turkeys stayed in tight cover all the time, hardly ever seen them in the open.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

M,Yingling

I always find them in heavy cover where i hunt,,,  lots berries down in that thick stuff
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

paladin

I have found tracks in the middle of a thicket.
I was suprised as I also expected them to avoid thick stuff.
It seems against their better interest due to predators and limited vision.
"have gun-will travel"

turkey slayer

Quote from: M,Yingling on February 06, 2011, 11:38:55 PM
I always find them in heavy cover where i hunt,,,  lots berries down in that thick stuff
same here lots of grub for them in the thick stuff.

TauntoHawk

I've always seen turkeys flock up around and in thick cover during the winter, the one spot I can think of I have never (not once) seen a bird in the spring. Its 7 acre cedar thicket with maybe 3 acres of briers and vines in the center. Every winter a flock of about 20-30 turkeys spend the late season there. I think the thick cover offers more food in winter as well as protection from the wind and elements.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jbrown

I agree with Hawk...I don't see many turkeys in the cold months, but see them in every field come early spring. The thick stuff overs cover and more winter food.

cahaba

Last year I was telling my brother in law who just started turkey hunting how birds didn't like really thick stuff. I rounded the bend in the road and a group of five was comming out of some real nasty stuff.

turkey_slayer

Most of the land I hunt is thick.  Not clear cut thick but it has thick saplings, mountain laurel, briars but the majority is those hawthorn bushes (I think thats what they are called.  They have about 2" long thorns that are sharp and thick.  Tough enough to penetrate the soles of running shoes (ask me how I know).  In the fall they are full of red berries and the turkeys tear them up! 

socalturkeyman

Hey slayer how do you know about those thorns? :goofball:
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

TauntoHawk

sounds like he followed petter cottontail.. i mean old tom long beard into the brier patch
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

turkey_slayer

Quote from: socalturkeyman on February 09, 2011, 01:55:07 AM
Hey slayer how do you know about those thorns? :goofball:
Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 09, 2011, 09:41:28 AM
sounds like he followed petter cottontail.. i mean old tom long beard into the brier patch

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:  Its not that thick!  You can walk through them you just have to watch and try not to catch one through the eye!  Deer and turkey have no problem going through it.