OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

FF II clones??!!

Started by mightyjoeyoung, August 06, 2011, 11:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

Ok, I LOVE my Burris FF II/Speed Bead.  Just wana make that perfectly clear before I go any futrther as I do not want to anger the Burris gods :toothy12:.  I have been seeing other similar style sites for sale and I only say similar style because in my eye, the FFII is the best micro sight made for the money.  What I have been seeing are the Tasco Optima 2000 sights and the NCStar tactilcal sights, usually for between $55.00 and $150.00.  Has anybody ever used these "clones" and if so, how did they perfom for you.  I need another micro sight for a project gun, but can't spend the ching needed for a FFII or Speed Bead. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

the Ward

yea'im with ya on the cash flo these days!i did alot of looking around awhile back reading reviews ect.it seemed to me alot of the lower priced units were kind of more hit or miss on quality.half the reviews said they were great,half said they were junk so i guess its kind of roll the dice.if you deal with a place that has good customer service then at least if you had bad luck you could send it back.this is the place for solid info though.im sure somebody here will have the info your looking for.

sugarray

Look at the Mueller Quick Shot.  It is bigger, but half the cost and lots of experience on here.

mightyjoeyoung

I'm not looking for a strictly turkey sight though.  I have red dot sights aplenty for turkey.  I use my speed bead/FF2 for everything from gobblers to doves to mostly geese and ducks. What I like most about the speed bead and the FF2 is their versatility to go from dawn to dusk and from deep dark woods to bright sunny days and wingshooting.  And...they're TINY.  Truth be told, the meulers don't impress me all that much.  I like the micro sights and the tube style sights better.

BurrisOptics

I have the NCStar on order.  I'm curious to see what they are doing to get it here so cheap.  I'll let you know what I find. 

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: BurrisOptics on August 08, 2011, 09:45:32 AM
I have the NCStar on order.  I'm curious to see what they are doing to get it here so cheap.  I'll let you know what I find. 

Sweet!  I'd like to know too.  I can't see it being near ar robust as my FF2.  I do know it doesn't have the photo sensor to self adjust to light conditions but how much could that cost?  That technology has been proven in miniature for years and the cost to include that feature can't be that high. 

mightyjoeyoung

Any word on those micro sght, FF II clones?

bigdale

I had a ncstar micro that I busted a set screw in. I called the company and they sent me a brand new sight, I had it in 4 days. The customer service was great. I recieved the new scope and mounted it on my SBE2. It would not hold zero to the nitro hevi loads, but it would hold zero with 3" hevi-shot loads. I was a little nervous about it, so I took it off and mounted it on my 20 guage Nova. Im shooting 3" 6's and 7's out of my 20 and the ncstar works great. So..... if youre shooting big loads, I would go with another burris. If youre shooting lighter loads, it is awesome. I hope this helps you.

Dale Sexton
Hevi-shot Pro Staff

Gadget

Had one of those NCstar's, didn't like it at all, junk, Huge parallax at 40yds, twice as bad as the Burris FF, which I think is bad too when compared to the Docter sight.

FYI the Burris FastFire is a clone as well, clone of the Docter which was out for years before it was ever made. If you ever get a chance to compare them side by side do so and you will see the differences in Clarity, glare, parallax, battery life, brightness regulation..etc, Docter has it beat in all aspects.

BurrisOptics

Quote from: Gadget on October 04, 2011, 06:48:36 PM
Had one of those NCstar's, didn't like it at all, junk, Huge parallax at 40yds, twice as bad as the Burris FF, which I think is bad too when compared to the Docter sight.

FYI the Burris FastFire is a clone as well, clone of the Docter which was out for years before it was ever made. If you ever get a chance to compare them side by side do so and you will see the differences in Clarity, glare, parallax, battery life, brightness regulation..etc, Docter has it beat in all aspects.

Can you share the details of your testing so I can conduct the same tests with one or all of the Doctor Optic sights that we have? 

pdqt

I checked the burris site and only saw mounts for the speedbead, for 12 ga guns. What  are the options for a benelli montefeltro 20 ga?    A ffII on the rib?

BurrisOptics

We don't make a Speedbead for any 20 gauge guns or vent rib mounts.  You'd be looking at a drill and tap option.

gobbler74

Quote from: BurrisOptics on October 11, 2011, 12:10:19 PM
We don't make a Speedbead for any 20 gauge guns or vent rib mounts.  You'd be looking at a drill and tap option.
What would be the difference in mounts other than plate sizes? That would be quite a large market you could enter.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

BurrisOptics

Quote from: gobbler74 on October 13, 2011, 12:08:57 PM
Quote from: BurrisOptics on October 11, 2011, 12:10:19 PM
What would be the difference in mounts other than plate sizes? That would be quite a large market you could enter.

The mounting plate size would be the only difference.  We made some 20 gauge SBs in the beginning.  The markets not as big as you might think. 

Guess we're not going to get the details of Gadget's testing. 

pdqt

could the 12 ga. sb mount be modified to fit, or would a new plate have to be made.  Used to have axcess to machine shop when I was working.