OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

336 marlin on vinci?

Started by the Ward, July 31, 2011, 11:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

has any one mounted a ff2 on a vinci using the marlin 336 mount?ive seen lots of guns here using that setup and i like the clean low profile.just wondering if anyone tried or seen one setup like that.thanks for any info anybody has.

mightyjoeyoung

Hey, if that's the case, can I do that with my SBE II?  Are there any matching mounts to fit the rear mount holes so that I can get it even lower to the reciever??
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

nflorek

The 336 mounts holes are  a half inch apart if your holes are not a half inch apart its not going to fix without a gunsmith.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: nflorek on August 06, 2011, 12:06:36 PM
The 336 mounts holes are  a half inch apart if your holes are not a half inch apart its not going to fix without a gunsmith.

Looks like I got some measuring to do when i get off work then.

the Ward

i wonder if the mount itself could be redrilled if needed instead of redrilling and tapping receiver.i thought someone did that here but i don't remember.i was mostly wondering how the fit was on the    receiver top but now that you mention it i think the sbe2 and vinci receiver top contours are real similar.i'll have to look up some old posts or maybe someone could post a pic of their sbe2/336mount /ff2 combo.thanks for the info on the measurments!

BurrisOptics

The contour of the receiver isn't much of an issue.  That's one of the reasons everyone is using the Marlin mount.  That mount will follow the contours of just about anything out there.  You can redrill the mount as long as you chamfer the holes after drilling. 

the Ward

Thank you Mr Burris for the info!I'm in the process of a little thinning of the herd in the old safe and plan on using the money to upgrade the ones i use all the time.I plan on a ff2 and i wanted to keep a low profile on it so that ought to work.I'm also looking into a Mueller for another gun.My, how i would like to have a crosshair on the ff2 though!Just thought i'd throw that subtle hint in!Seriously though,thank you very much for your reply,it's just the info i needed.

chrmayo

Yes the mount can be re-drilled. I had a third hole added to mine b/c I wanted it on my SBE but wanted the extra hole in the mount as its much cheaper than the gun. I had mine done were I work and they were in a hurry and it was just a tad bit off to one side. I didnt notice any difference when sighting it in. Just make sure that its centered, thats the only thing.
-MAYO-

the Ward

that was my thinking also.I'd much rather redrill a mount than the gun.Really like that setup on the pics i've seen posted here and thats what i'm going with.I'm very lucky to have a good gunsmith close by and im sure he could do it.Now im all exited,can't wait!i'll try and post some pics when i get her done!Thanks for the reply chrmayo!

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: the Ward on August 17, 2011, 02:36:03 PM
that was my thinking also.I'd much rather redrill a mount than the gun.Really like that setup on the pics i've seen posted here and thats what i'm going with.I'm very lucky to have a good gunsmith close by and im sure he could do it.Now im all exited,can't wait!i'll try and post some pics when i get her done!Thanks for the reply chrmayo!

Just talked to a gun smith friend of mine and he said it would be MUCH EASIER to drill another hole in the mount rather than the reciever!!  Apparently he went through 5 taps just getting the darn holes threaded.  He said the top of the reciever is VERY HARD and you have to contend with the action raceways in the top of the reciever as well.  Definetely going to get the mount and just drill an extra hole!!  Also, I would like to give Jim, aka, gobbler74 a big thumbs up on my new FFII gaurd!!  looks awesome and it oughta go great with the new mount when I get it!  Thank a ton Jim!!