OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite Locator call???

Started by rtsj, July 27, 2011, 05:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newram05

strut and spurs

I mostly use owl and crow.I have had them answer the crow call late morning when they wouldn't answer hen calls

gaswamp

owls the best but had luck with crows and hawk calls as well

gobbler777

I've always used my voice for the barred owl call. Crow calling has worked well for me  ... Gibson and Mincey calls for sure.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Javi

MossRem

Quote from: drenalinld on July 27, 2011, 11:14:31 PM
I have used crow, owl, pileated woodpecker, coyote, canadian goose, high ball on a duck call, cedar train whistle, hawk, and others I can't recall at the moment.

Now I rarely carry a locator call. I sometimes hoot with my voice at first light if I don't hear anything. I much prefer to let them gobble on their own. If I am not hearing anything after flydown I will typically try different turkey calls. If they won't answer them, I probably won't call them up anyway.

I've never pulled a "shock gobble" out of a turkey yet with a crow call. I just don't feel like a crow call is much of an effective locator call, at least here in Georgia anyways. Turkeys have just learned to tune them out. Maybe too many ended up with sparks on their backs from one of those pesky "crows"?

Ctomp1974

Quote from: Old Gobbler on August 26, 2011, 10:17:48 PM
I have a very hard time locating gobblers in most of southern portions of Florida with a Owl call , due mostly to the abundance of owls , but on occasion when they are really hot they will fire off to a Owl

A good loud Crow call will get them to fire off mid day time when nothing else seems to work , in the early  morning they are gobbling anyway 

X2.. same goes for North Florida. I felt like a professional Owl caller the first few days. Owls everywhere.

deadhead

just remember they are big chickens.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Owl call,But i like my crow call as well.

shuey270

I like a hen call for a locator

swamppirate

Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee

MCase

Harrison Hoot Tube....Gibson Crow call for me.

TN Longbeard

talltines

An owl call early, but have used about everything from a air horn to a yell.  On the right turkey any noise works.  Some turkeys when they shut up its hard to get them worked up again. 

cannonball

Harrison hoot tube and crow call.