OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite Locator call???

Started by rtsj, July 27, 2011, 05:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtsj

I have tried and tried again and have no luck except for early morning with crow calls and owl hooters. Really want some feedback from you guys that have tried either a pelliated woodpecker, peacock or a hawk screamer. Let me know what you have and how they have performed for ya.

Thanks Roy

savduck

I use the owl and crow 90% of the time. I do have an old PS OLT red tail hawk that they will holler at,I also have and old Haydels...Raging Rooster. It will do roosters and woodpeckers...rarely use it only when nothing is talking. I have heard them go nuts on a coyote a bunch of times, but I havent ever bought one.

If I cant get them to answer to an owl, crow, or aggresive cutting when locating....Im headed to the house. Got plenty of mornings in our season to get on one that wants to play.
Georgia Boy

Spring Creek Calls

Owl hoot with my own voice and have a crow call and pileated woodpecker call around my neck.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

drenalinld

I have used crow, owl, pileated woodpecker, coyote, canadian goose, high ball on a duck call, cedar train whistle, hawk, and others I can't recall at the moment.

Now I rarely carry a locator call. I sometimes hoot with my voice at first light if I don't hear anything. I much prefer to let them gobble on their own. If I am not hearing anything after flydown I will typically try different turkey calls. If they won't answer them, I probably won't call them up anyway.

decoykrvr

I use my vocal chords to make both Barred owl, Great Horned owl, and to crow call.  Not only does it work, it cuts down on weight and clutter in my vest.  I've carried everything from coyote calls, silent dog whistles (before Mark Drury pushed them), goose calls, crow calls, owl hooters, hawk calls, woodpecker calls and even bit on the peacock call.  I'm sold on mouth calling using only the vocal chords.  Hell, I even carried a battery powered personal protection alarm which gave off a horrendous ear piercing, high frequency, modulated signal similar to an emergency siren when activated w/ a push button after hearing birds gobble at distant ambulance, fire trucks, and police car sirens.  I know it would have worked, but I was both too embarrassed to unleash the awful sound and I felt that it would violate the "hunt" to employ such a garish tactic in the wild, so it resides in the box w/ all the other "shock" calls.

ncturkey

My go to locator calls a custom crow and owl call. I also have used the Peacock caller with some success. I have had the owl bring no gobbles but use the crow call and the they would gobble there brains out. And just the opposite to happen sometimes. There is no one locator that will make the gobble all the time. I have had turkey gobble at simple hoot owl and not say a word to a barred owl 8 note call. I am sure the coyote call works but I do not like to do sounds which could be a sign of danger to the turkey.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

drenalinld

Owls are definitely enemies of turkeys and a danger to them.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: drenalinld on July 27, 2011, 11:14:31 PM
I have used crow, owl, pileated woodpecker, coyote, canadian goose, high ball on a duck call, cedar train whistle, hawk, and others I can't recall at the moment.

Now I rarely carry a locator call. I sometimes hoot with my voice at first light if I don't hear anything. I much prefer to let them gobble on their own. If I am not hearing anything after flydown I will typically try different turkey calls. If they won't answer them, I probably won't call them up anyway.

I also don't call much with locator call at first light, but when I do it's mostly with a crow call then the owl call. Right After fly up time I will walk all over blowing the owl call trying to find one roosted.

ferocious calls

Have used mostly everything listed above.
When the chips are down and tom is tight lipped I pull out the Ferocious shock locator. A self blown air horn that has incredible volume.

I gave one to a friend and he reported back: Hey that locator worked when the owl and crow wouldn't. Sell them for 5.00 if any intrest. 

I like to locate from the truck often and hate when a call is used for locating, setup made and next gobble he's at the truck!

Old Gobbler

I have a very hard time locating gobblers in most of southern portions of Florida with a Owl call , due mostly to the abundance of owls , but on occasion when they are really hot they will fire off to a Owl

A good loud Crow call will get them to fire off mid day time when nothing else seems to work , in the early  morning they are gobbling anyway 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

cypresscreek

I carry a James Harrison owl hooter(awesome sound) and a Bob Buckner cocobola crow call. I only use them when nothing else is happening. I owl hoot with my voice as well- just not as much volume.
Rick Ferlita
Cypress Creek Turkey Calls
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

nx95240

Quote from: Old Gobbler on August 26, 2011, 10:17:48 PM
I have a very hard time locating gobblers in most of southern portions of Florida with a Owl call , due mostly to the abundance of owls , but on occasion when they are really hot they will fire off to a Owl

A good loud Crow call will get them to fire off mid day time when nothing else seems to work , in the early  morning they are gobbling anyway 

when are we going?? lol

chatterbox

Primos peacock call will get them to shock gobble quite well!

WildTigerTrout

I only use locator calls as a last resort if the birds are'nt talking on their own. When I do use one 90% of the time it's Primos "Power Crow".
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!