OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Drilling & tapping for a rail

Started by bunk, July 25, 2011, 01:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunk

I would like to get my Rem. 870 drilled and tapped. I want a Burris fast fire ll on a Marlin 336 mount. Only thing is if I get it tapped for the 336 mount and down the road something new came out or I wanted a scope I would have to have it tapped again for a weaver or picatinny rail. Seems like I remember reading on here the the 336 mount would fit the Mossberg factory hole spacing. If so could I get my receiver drilled and tapped for a Mossberg rail and use the back holes for the 336 mount? That way if I ever wanted to change I could pull the 336 off and mount the Mossberg rail.

Jourdan_D

I'm a firm believe in doing it right the first time so you don't need to plan to change things later.  Buy a picatinny rail that will fit your receive and call it a day.  You will be able to attach anything to the picatinny later and bot have to worry abt changing your bases around and wasting money on different bases.

chrmayo

If thats all your worried about then I would do one of 2 things. I would get it drilled and tapped for either the mossberg rail or the 336 rail that has 4 holes. The 336 base and the ff2 is waaaaay better looking than a rail so I would not do as jourdan suggested and go with a picatinny rail. Just my thoughts, but its yours to do as you please.
-MAYO-

gob09

the 336 will work on a moss. i like the two hole mounting also looks clean.. id have it fixed for the mossberg if it were me.