Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Friday Devotional 7/22/2011 "Mirror, mirror on the wall........"

Started by BOFF, July 22, 2011, 12:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

I was listening to my pastor this Wednesday evening about the Book of Malachi, and though I had read the scripture before, a few things were brought to my attention. Malachi writes, like the devotionals in the last several weeks, the world was turning its back on the Lord, and a lot of so called Christians were talking the talk, but not walking the walk. Malachi confronts the Israelites with their lack of commitment, and half hearted attempts in serving God and following His laws. God warns of the consequences of their actions, and what needs to be done. 

However, what stuck in my mind was Malachi 3:2-3.

2 But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner's fire or a launderer's soap. 3 He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness,

The Lord is coming back, maybe today, tomorrow, next year, etc., But He IS coming back!!!! Are we, much like the Israelites, just going through the motions? I mean really, are we truly living like we believe He's coming back, possibly today?  Are we ready for Jesus to come back?

I like how our pastor explained the refining process of silver. He voiced the silver was heated, and the impurities, which float on the top, were scooped away by the refiner. The process was repeated, until the refiner could see his reflection shining in the silver pool, much like a mirror. God, the refiner, purifies us. And who do you think He wants to see, in us, His mirrors, when he returns?

Let us pray.

Heavenly Father, we thank you for the promise of your return, and the salvation you offer to us all, through your son Jesus. Help us to live each day, each moment, as if you are on the horizon, ascending from Heaven. Help us to be open to spread your word, not only with our mouths, but with or actions as well.  Thank you for your love, grace, forgiveness, and peace, which sees us through each day. May we be a mirror of each, using our talents and abilities for you glory, and not our own. For it is in Jesus name we ask and pray these things, Amen!!!

God Bless,
David B.

lightsoutcalls

Thanks for the great words.  I have heard that story of the refiner seeing his reflection... good analogy.

I thank God for His conviction that makes me uncomfortable when I've done wrong.  Being "refined" is not a "painless" process and correction is not something we look forward to (the process that is).  Of even more concern, though, than the process of correction or refining is getting to that place where one no longer recognizes those prompts from God (conviction) that we have done wrong.  God, keep me from that place!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)