OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

If you bought 1 last slate call that would have to do you for the rest of your..

Started by rempumpman, July 19, 2011, 05:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rempumpman

Hunting life, who would you get to make it for you and what kind of wood would you have it made out of?  I am looking for that one-of-a-kind slate call that produces nothing but "solid gold" when the striker slides across it;

Also need to know what striker that you think would work best with the call; thank you...........rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

honker22

wow, that's a tough one.  There are so many great callmakers on here.  My favorite slate is Oklahoma cherry, Bronzed glass, with a purpleheart striker.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

pappy

Hahaha...I would have to pay myself to build me one.... I would go with Mexican Cocobolo with a walnut and cherry striker. I would also do it in a dual purpose pot style with glass as the secondary and sound board, then I would use a hickory or blackwood striker.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

chatterbox

I'm sorry, but I couldn't pick just one. I have a number of calls, and I bring quite a few different ones on any given hunt.
You just never know what ol' tom is gonna like on any given spring morning!

savduck

Quote from: pappy on July 19, 2011, 06:43:30 PM
Hahaha...I would have to pay myself to build me one.... I would go with Mexican Cocobolo with a walnut and cherry striker. I would also do it in a dual purpose pot style with glass as the secondary and sound board, then I would use a hickory or blackwood striker.

OHHHH, man that one sounds nice.
Georgia Boy

Longbeardfever4ever

Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

gobbler336

i do not think you can have one universal call an travel the states with it, i have found that in different areas birds like certain sounds while others like something different, heck even different birds on the same block of woods often times like different sounds.   honestly you need to buy a wide variety and see what your birds prefer and you!  not what you wanted to hear i know.

870BkWht

Id look into another surface type, such as crystal or glass.  If you really wanted slate, Id go with a cherry pot and a glass soundboard and purpleheart or osage striker.

savduck

You asked for slate, that wouldnt be my choice. If you were stuck on slate that one Pappy described sounds nice. If you want a pot, I would suggest Aluminum in cherry or walnut with hickory or purple heart striker.
Georgia Boy

VaTuRkStOmPeR

If I had to buy one last call of any type it would be aluminum.

I carry a Lights Out Quarter Sawn White Oak slate and  Bud and Betty Walnut slate with me into the timber each time I go, but they are not my initial go to calls.   2 Lights Out aluminums and a mouth call see action long before the slates come into the game.

Tnturkey71