OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First trumpet

Started by mdmitchell, April 29, 2024, 06:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdmitchell

Looking to pick up a trumpet to play with here during the upcoming off season.

I know absolutely nothing about them as far as wood, makers, and how much I should be paying. Can someone give me some general directions on what i should be looking to spend and some possible builders (local to OG are preferred)??

Any advice welcome!

davisd9

Lee Chadwick, Misfire Game Calls and member

Brian Mero, member
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Greg Gwaltney - Greg Gwaltney Turkey Calls and he has a website and a member of the forum... look back through the trumpet post and you will see some of his calls ...

Yoder409

Good, local builders already mentioned.

I'll add .......

EZ              Tony Ezolt
fordhunt        Kenneth Mullins
Daryl           Daryl Slaton
shademountain   Ernie Fetters
gonehuntin982   Mike Lapp
Seth41          Seth Hamon
Shoebuck        Gene Shoemaker

A trumpet or Jordan from ANY of these guys will be KILLER.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Lcmacd 58

You need to look at the list that Yoder put out there.  I have a few and by no means am I good at playing 1 but Kenneth. Mullins is the easiest  to get a sound  out of.
Just my 2 cents.

Yoder409

Quote from: Lcmacd 58 on April 30, 2024, 05:12:21 AMYou need to look at the list that Yoder put out there.  I have a few and by no means am I good at playing 1 but Kenneth. Mullins is the easiest  to get a sound  out of.
Just my 2 cents.

Kenneth builds a great trumpet.  And he is one stand-up human being !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ejacks10s

Agree with the names above...also consider Marvin Breedlove (member)...love the trumpet he made for me and was a pleasure to deal with...learned a lot from our correspondence...also recommend putting the kids' college fund where it can't be touched...cuz this trumpet thing is addicting   :you_rock:

Ranman

All good advice above. Check out Terry's post on trumpet info. A lot of good stuff..

mdmitchell

I reached out to Ken Mullins and hell be making me an all acrylic trumpet!