turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SC TURKEY SEASON

Started by turk3ythug, May 14, 2024, 08:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turk3ythug

Hello fellow SC Hunters, has anyone gotten an update on H4820 ( Turkey Bill)?I just seen something about 2025 season from April 3- May 3 but not sure if that's correct, would be interested to see if they change the bag limit as well. Please update with anything you know of/find out. There was also some odd literature in there on something about 2500 acres and a March 25th start.  :OGturkeyhead:

deerhunt1988

Interesting on the 2500 acres and earlier start part. Classic example of "Rules for thee, and not for me!" They will try and regulate the majority of turkey hunters out of a March opener but the wealthy ones trying to pass this mess get to have their March opener. Funny how that works.

PharmHunter

Senator Grooms from Berkeley county decided to really show everything that is wrong with the process and put forth an absurd amendment regarding 2500 acre tracts "managed for wildlife" and under conservation easement could open 3/25, and only in game zone 3.  It should be dead on arrival back in the House, but has sent the entire bill back into a joint senate and house conference committee.  Will be June before we know sounds like.  It is unknown but likely to wind up somewhere in the middle of what the Biologists recommended and what the good ol boy politicians want.

turk3ythug

Quote from: PharmHunter on May 14, 2024, 09:57:02 AMSenator Grooms from Berkeley county decided to really show everything that is wrong with the process and put forth an absurd amendment regarding 2500 acre tracts "managed for wildlife" and under conservation easement could open 3/25, and only in game zone 3.  It should be dead on arrival back in the House, but has sent the entire bill back into a joint senate and house conference committee.  Will be June before we know sounds like.  It is unknown but likely to wind up somewhere in the middle of what the Biologists recommended and what the good ol boy politicians want.

2500 acres  + and only in GZ 3 sounds awfully specific.. sounds like our politician's hunt clubs is getting their own early season lol.

G-dub

From what I've heard limits will be cut to two birds, and no jakes. As already stated, everything is still somewhat up in the air but the early April start for one month will be end up being pretty accurate, imo. 
Last I checked there were around 9700 birds killed this year in SC.  I know these numbers will be adjusted after surveys but will still show a significant decrease in harvest over the past couple of years, roughly 25%. I would really like to see some biologist in the field checking birds and taking samples to help pinpoint the real reasons for our decline (i know, whole new can of worms) instead of just focusing on the easiest thing to control, which is hunters.

davisd9

Quote from: G-dub on May 14, 2024, 10:52:17 AMFrom what I've heard limits will be cut to two birds, and no jakes. As already stated, everything is still somewhat up in the air but the early April start for one month will be end up being pretty accurate, imo. 
Last I checked there were around 9700 birds killed this year in SC.  I know these numbers will be adjusted after surveys but will still show a significant decrease in harvest over the past couple of years, roughly 25%. I would really like to see some biologist in the field checking birds and taking samples to help pinpoint the real reasons for our decline (i know, whole new can of worms) instead of just focusing on the easiest thing to control, which is hunters.

Habitat loss is at the top. Every tree that can be cut and sold is being cut and sold, and many of those places have houses being thrown up. State/federal lands have nothing being done to help habitat either.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer