North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Changed things up a bit….

Started by callaway71, April 28, 2024, 09:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callaway71

Upgrade coming!

Literally changed my hunting pants for this morning's hunt. Lol  Friday I decided to concentrate on a property in Ky. Got out after the rain and found six hens in a corn field but no gobblers. Headed to the other end of the property and decided to set out a couple decoys to try to change my luck. Called in two but like most of my hunts this year they would not commit. They strutted around for a little bit about 70-80 yds away and eased off. After this encounter it was time to head to work.

Only had a few hours Saturday so I took my son and 3 yo daughter. Had to use a blind with her but we had some action with nine hens. Same field as day prior and again no gobblers. She seemed to have fun and was actually quiet when a hen came to check the decoys out. My son sure was eyeing her for a  beard. Lol. He's hoping to shoot another one before season's end.

This morning, same property, found the same hens but this time they had two gobblers with them. This area is big ag field with pockets of woods. They are either there or not. I got into position for the direction they would normally go. Of course the hens would split. Three came my way but the other three went away. Those two toms didn't know what to do. They started gobbling trying to call the hens back. Finally, they turned away and went after the other three. Once I was clear of these hens I made a mad dash through the woods trying to cut off the gobblers. The woods make an "L" around part of the field so I had a chance. I get to the corner and the hens had beat me. Fortunately, the wind was up so I could get away with movement. The two toms were gobbling about 70 yds away. I repositioned and waited. Glassing their spurs I knew they were decent. Both about the same so I decided on the first strutter. At 10 yds he entered an opening and Ky tag was filled. Not the way I want to hunt them but sometimes that's all you get.

I'm hoping to get out again this week one morning but next weekend we'll try to get my son on another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FullChoke

KAAABOOOOM! Congratulations on your upgrade.

We still waiting impatiently here in MN.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

zelmo1

Nice job bro. I get to hunt Maine tomorrow  :turkey2: Z

3seasons

Congratulations!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Roost 1

Congrats... I knew it was just a matter of time.

callaway71