OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dunn's Hevi Duck 7.5 Loads

Started by mmusso, February 14, 2011, 05:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmusso

I, like a lot of you, picked up a ton of these last year, and they patterned really well for me, but I didn't ever have the opportunity to shoot any birds with it. After seeing some negative posts regarding penetration, have many of you had issues with these shells? I set this gun up primarily for my mother who is still looking for turkey #1, and I certainly do not want her to lose it as a result of poor performance. I won't let her shoot past 40, but I don't want to limit her odds based on my lack of preparation or being deceived by the results on paper. Thanks for any input from those of you that have taken shots (and hopefully killed) with them.
Matt

CB on the run

They didn't pattern well at all for me.  As for penetration, I was behind my son about 11-12 years ago and watched him cleanly harvest a bird with a lead 3" 7.5 at around 33 yards so in theory they should penetrate better.  I did shoot a bird with the H-13 7's this past spring and I have to say he wasn't thunderstruck like with the Federals, so consequently I have returned to Federal HW FC.  I have both 6's & 7's.

CB

R AJ

If you have the pattern they will deliver to your distances .Hopefully she will hav ea chance at 30 yards or so and put the smack on one.

wbpc

I got 156 in a 10 inch circle @ 40 yards with those loads and took several gobblers with them last year out to 35 yards with no problem at all.  With my pattern I would trust them to 40 no problem.

mmusso

Thank you for the input! I got 140+ in a tight group last time I patterned them last year at 40yds, so I was really hoping for some reassurance. Ready to tote my 20 for our March 15 opener in AL...and mama is ready too!!

hookedspur

Quote from: RAJ on February 14, 2011, 06:33:14 PM
If you have the pattern they will deliver to your distances .Hopefully she will hav ea chance at 30 yards or so and put the smack on one.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Just the other day, I got 155 in 10" at 35 Yards, at 55 Degrees, through a RSF Choke.