turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Beginner Hunter from Illinois

Started by camo_queen, April 24, 2024, 05:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camo_queen

Hello all. I am a very beginner turkey hunter, been deer hunting for a few years now (have 3 big bucks on the wall) and wanted to start to dabble into turkey hunting. No one around me turkey hunts so I have done everything solo, went out Sunday (2nd day of 2nd season) no luck, got to see a nice Tom chasing a hen but never got close enough. I took out a chair and pop up blind and too much junk than necessary. Decided to go bare necessities on day 2. I could only hunt these 2 days due to work/schedule and I only got 2nd season spring tag. Went out a little late Monday morning after taking kid to school, had a camo pad to sit on, found a nice tree to lean against with my back facing the north so the sun wouldn't blind me (I learned from day 1). Timber was quiet. Spent hours not hearing anything, actually was watching youtube videos on how to use my box call I bought Saturday evening. Hoping my practicing would get something to come. Eventually 2 Toms came into eyeshot, they never gobbled, just walking around eating. After 2 hours, a hen wondering around getting them to wonder around with her, my continued practicing with my call. I finally got to take a 15 yard shot at the larger of the 2 Toms. I am pretty excited about it and hope I can continue hunting turkeys! 11 inch beard and both spurs over an inch long. Can't wait to get it on the wall. Hope you all have a successful year. 

Vintage

Congratulations on a great first bird.

Turkeybutt

Congratulations on the first of many I'm sure! :wagon:

Greg Massey

Congrats on your first gobbler. I agree this one is just the start of your turkey hunting memories. Welcome to the forum..

10th Legionaire

Congratulations camo_queen! Nice work  :z-guntootsmiley:
Less is more

Tom007

Welcome. Congrats on a fine gobbler! We look forward to many fine stories from your hunts. Well done!
"Solo hunter"

Bill

Congratulations and welcome. Glad to know you are having the bird mounted. Lots of folks hunt for years before tagging a gobbler that nice (if ever!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishr64

Congratulations on your first gobbler and welcome to OG!!

sbbow

Congratulations and welcome to OG !!

Badger

job Nice job Camo Queen.  Great first bird.  Keep it up.

Bowguy

Zobo

Awesome! You are hooked I do believe!!!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

SwampRooster17

Congrats on your first! Welcome to OG!

Clif Owen

Congrats on an awesome bird! Welcome to the site also

JeffC

Congratulations on your first of hopefully many more!! Welcome to the best Turkey hunting camp on the planet!! Please jump in and stay active.  :welcomeOG:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr