turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need Help With Choke Selection - Stevens 301 and Hevi XII #6

Started by Extremesolo, April 24, 2024, 07:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extremesolo

I am setting up a 20 ga. Stevens 301 for a coworkers grandson to use on a youth hunt.  I mounted a red dot, polished the barrel and decided on the Hevi XII load in 3" 1 1/4 oz. #6 at 1350 fps.  The gun has a factory extra full that measured .580 or .585 when I checked it.  I sighted in the red dot with low brass last night and then shot a few of the hevi loads back at 30 yards.  It was good enough to hunt but I believe the pattern could definitely be improved.  I am trying to keep the cost fairly low and I was looking at a tightwad (.570) or a SSX (.550) choke to replace the factory choke.  Does anyone have any experience with these chokes or any other recommendations?

On a side note - the hevi XII load looks to be a legit 20 ga. shell.  It is advertised at 1350 fps, available in 25 round boxes for close to $60.  That is better than lead density at a much higher velocity than most other loads with the same amount of shot.  The 20 ga longbeard load is 1 1/4 oz. of #6 lead at 1000 fps for comparison.  If I can tighten it up a bit I think we will have a really nice setup.     

Ihuntoldschool

Factory choke Longbeard XR or Federal Grand Slams.

You don't want nor do you need to choke smaller especially for a youngster

35 yards or so Deadly.