OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tiger stripe mesquite copper with bark

Started by lightsoutcalls, July 19, 2011, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

This is a mesquite copper call I built for a gentleman in TX that has been generous enough to supply me with some mesquite wood in trade for some calls.  The piece I cut this call blank from had what appeared to be a tight crotch in the center of the board.  It appeared as a black line on the edge grain.  Once cut, a portion of the underside "scabbed" off from the blank, leaving the rough bark edge seen on the left side of the picture.   Not so long ago I would have scrapped the blank due to the imperfection.  I have seen some calls turned by others with what appeared to be imperfections in the wood, but gave the call some real character.  I went ahead and turned this one to see how it would turn out.  This one sounds great with very good soft calls from a cedar striker and some raspy full volume calls with a shedua striker.  I hope he likes it enough to send more mesquite.  ;)
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

bbcustomboxcalls

gobblerhunter

Call looks great and I know it sounds great as well.  I have turned several mesquite calls and was satisfied with each.  Again, great looking call and I am sure he will be satisfied.

Gobblerhunter

kenturkey89

Brian

TRKYHTR

I like it a lot Wendell. It has some character to it.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

savduck

Shoot man, thats a built in CHEAT spot. Place to put his thumb in to know how to hold the call and find the sweet spot every time. Very nice.
Georgia Boy

TarheelTurk

Super Nice loooking call Wendell! He'll be glad you didnt toss that piece out. It truly does add to the call & make it one of a kind. Great Job
Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

stone road turkey calls

Great looking call, love the scab. i have had scabs on many of my burl calls everyone seams to like them. 
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

drenalinld

Very nice. Get in your scrap pile and pull out some of that junk.

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

M,Yingling

Nice work ,,,Nothing like a little character  :icon_thumright:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

turkey slayer