North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Struggling…

Started by callaway71, April 22, 2024, 08:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callaway71

But finally broke the ice this morning.  :jackson:

Sunday was another struggling day. First spot only heard one gobble off in the distance so decided to move. Sat for a bit at my second spot and finally heard one. Wind was blowing so hearing was difficult. I called as loud as I could to that ole bird. He finally made his way toward me but veered off course. Skirted my tree about 60 yds out. Talk about having the taken wind out of my sails. I've had 4-5 close calls in the few days I've been able to hunt.

Weather was looking great for this morning. I knew I couldn't miss work today but figured I'd push my limit. It was 33 degrees when I arrived. This is my buddy's place where my son killed last week. My hopes were high that one would strut in this field before I had to leave. Got set up with plenty of time before light. Sort of nodding off when all of sudden the first gobble rang out 100 yds or so to my left on the other side of this field. My eyes lit up. He was on the one end where it was highly likely he would come my way. Two more started chiming in before they flew down. At about 5:45, all three were on the ground and two hit full strut. I never made a call. They eased by and finally separated enough for me to shoot the first strutter. My buddy texted me as soon as I shot, " That didn't take long".  Lol 5:56 and I was done. All the years I've been hunting I have never had a bird killed that quick. Nothing like punching the tag before work.

Roost 1

I never doubted you....... :turkey2:

FullChoke

Congratulations! Nothing makes it harder to keep your mind on work like a big old turkey.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

callaway71

Quote from: FullChoke on April 22, 2024, 12:53:44 PMCongratulations! Nothing makes it harder to keep your mind on work like a big old turkey.

Cheers  ;D

FC
This is a busy week for me so I had to take a chance this morning. I'd have been at working wishing I was out.  Weather is perfect today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xarcher

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

3seasons

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

cannonball