turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Quiet Birds

Started by #FreeCarlRay, April 22, 2024, 07:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

What's this Saldu I've seen mentioned? Another word for people pressure?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

silvestris

More or less.  Kenny Morgan and I read Theordora Korber's books on Ishi, the last wild Indian. Wnenever one of us us have a dead day, especially when we had observed human tracks, we would look at the other and say "Saldu".  Saldu was the term used by Ishi's tribe to describe the white man.  Turkeys don't like Saldu.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: silvestris on April 23, 2024, 07:44:01 PMMore or less.  Kenny Morgan and I read Theordora Korber's books on Ishi, the last wild Indian. Wnenever one of us us have a dead day, especially when we had observed human tracks, we would look at the other and say "Saldu".  Saldu was the term used by Ishi's tribe to describe the white man.  Turkeys don't like Saldu.
So the turkeys are racist... I knew it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

richard black

I agree with Spring Creek Calls, quiet here in SW Michigan where I hunt

WV Flopper

I ha e hunted turkey for a while, just like some of you.

Deer have a lock down period, turkeys have do too.

One week and they will start back up, slowly, second week full force and walking. Third week petering out or done.

I have been from VA to WV, ND, WY. Everywhere I have been they have gobbled well.

Cycle of spring. Happens every year in the turkey woods.

#FreeCarlRay

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 23, 2024, 04:11:16 PMIn addition to Saldu which is the main problem.

1. Alot die 1st week of season.   Dead birds don't gobble. 

2. Foliage heavier by the day and birds on ground are harder to hear .

3.  After flydown boss gobblers are with hens. Think more drumming less gobbling.  He's got a volume knob on his gobble like on a radio. He'll gobble just loud enough.
I started listening first weekend in March on a farm that I hunt and it's been like that all season. It's been weird birds last year I heard 11 leading up to the season this year I have maybe heard 5 I know there are at least 9 different birds on the farm from watching them in the fields in different sections. I have noticed it greened up sooner than normal so that has impacted it as far as hearing em in a distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#FreeCarlRay

Quote from: silvestris on April 23, 2024, 12:07:26 PMSaldu have a tendency to shut them up.
I do believe that might be more of the effect. I have been working 6 12s since March 3rd and I don't know what the other two gentleman that hunt the farm do. I've been up there everyday I'm off and don't see them but that doesn't mean the other 6 they aren't there!

Ihuntoldschool

Quote from: #FreeCarlRay on April 24, 2024, 04:13:13 AM
Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 23, 2024, 04:11:16 PMIn addition to Saldu which is the main problem.

1. Alot die 1st week of season.   Dead birds don't gobble. 

2. Foliage heavier by the day and birds on ground are harder to hear .

3.  After flydown boss gobblers are with hens. Think more drumming less gobbling.  He's got a volume knob on his gobble like on a radio. He'll gobble just loud enough.
I started listening first weekend in March on a farm that I hunt and it's been like that all season. It's been weird birds last year I heard 11 leading up to the season this year I have maybe heard 5 I know there are at least 9 different birds on the farm from watching them in the fields in different sections. I have noticed it greened up sooner than normal so that has impacted it as far as hearing em in a distance.

Ihuntoldschool

Saldu. If you been in there since 1st weekend in March. 

#FreeCarlRay

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 24, 2024, 04:50:00 PMSaldu. If you been in there since 1st weekend in March.
A cattle farm standing over 500 yards at a barn I don't think that's pressure. Especially when I did the same thing last year and heard birds steadily. Thank you

Mountainburd

Quote from: #FreeCarlRay on April 22, 2024, 07:38:10 AMGood morning gentlemen and ladies, I hope everyone's season has been going well anyone having any issues with birds being more quiet than past seasons? Seems that way her in Va for me.

I totally agree.  I'm in the same state. 

Marc

Not as many birds around, and more quiet than usual....

I have been fortunate enough to kill two birds (one left to go), both killed in the afternoon hours...  Both came in gobbling...   But, I have yet to hear a bird on the roost in the morning?  Which is oddly unusual for me.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

GobbleNut

Another factor not mentioned is the number/density of gobblers in a given area.  Although gobbling will vary a bit due to other factors mentioned, generally speaking, the more gobblers that live within earshot of each other, the more likely they will "inspire" gobbling from each other.

The increasing trend of more hunters hunting equals more gobblers being killed...equals fewer gobblers in the woods...equals fewer gobblers being there to inspire other gobblers to gobble...equals quieter woods in a lot of places.

NCL

I have seen and heard more gobblers this year than last. The only birds that presented shots were Jakes, which we do not shoot. There is a group of 8 Tom's that we have seem together on two occasions. two of which are probably 2 year old that are more cagy than the 6 Jakes. All the activity has been from mid morning which is different from years past.

Seminole Custom Calls

Quote from: bbcoach on April 22, 2024, 05:37:02 PMWe are a week into a 4 week season here in Eastern NC and the birds are very quiet here.  I've never seen it this quiet in all the years I have hunted here.
I'm hunting lejeune and we have only had one good gobbling morning so far.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk