turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help with mouth calling - beginner

Started by longbeard92, April 21, 2024, 08:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbeard92

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to the forum. I've been turkey hunting for around 4 years now and in the past month or so, I've been obsessed with trying to learn how to yelp properly on a mouth call. I previously faked it by saying "chop" but I'm finding out its not very realistic and doesn't sound as good.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping to get answers to that can help me out. Thanks in advance for any answers or tips!

1) My biggest question is how to get the back end note/the rasp. I can get the high  front end note easily now but I don't think I'm that close with the back end.

Is it more about physically lowering your tongue to allow more air to hit all of the reeds? I've tried relaxing my mouth and/or dropping my jaw without much success. I will also add when I try to get the back end note the call itself typically drops with my tongue. I'm wondering if it should stay "glued" to the roof of my mouth?

2) I'm also wondering if the call maybe isn't sitting as far back it should in my mouth which would make it easier for the call to drop. I've found this video very helpful () and I'm curious if everyone's tongue stays in the below location even during the front and end note of the yelp?
You cannot view this attachment.

3) Last question, I watched Shane Simpson's video around figuring out where your air flow is. I used a handheld mirror, hit the high note and saw air passing through the middle of the call. I'm assuming that's the correct way to do it?

RustyBarrels

Maybe you can try playing around with the word "shop" instead. 
Actually its more like Shop without the P on the end. (Kinda like saying Sha but a bit more stacatto)

I know it sounds silly, but even something small will change the structure in your mouth, therefor impacting the dynamics of airflow.
If you get the structure right, the airflow should basically fall into place and give that nice throaty backend note to the yelp.

Youve def put alot of thought into it, but maybe play around with some more words (shop, shuck, chuck, & etc) til you find something that gives you something you like. Hope this helps ya

GobbleNut

Quote from: longbeard92 on April 21, 2024, 08:39:01 PMHey everyone, I'm brand new to the forum. I've been turkey hunting for around 4 years now and in the past month or so, I've been obsessed with trying to learn how to yelp properly on a mouth call. I previously faked it by saying "chop" but I'm finding out its not very realistic and doesn't sound as good.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping to get answers to that can help me out. Thanks in advance for any answers or tips!

1) My biggest question is how to get the back end note/the rasp. I can get the high  front end note easily now but I don't think I'm that close with the back end.

Is it more about physically lowering your tongue to allow more air to hit all of the reeds? I've tried relaxing my mouth and/or dropping my jaw without much success. I will also add when I try to get the back end note the call itself typically drops with my tongue. I'm wondering if it should stay "glued" to the roof of my mouth?

2) I'm also wondering if the call maybe isn't sitting as far back it should in my mouth which would make it easier for the call to drop. I've found this video very helpful () and I'm curious if everyone's tongue stays in the below location even during the front and end note of the yelp?

3) Last question, I watched Shane Simpson's video around figuring out where your air flow is. I used a handheld mirror, hit the high note and saw air passing through the middle of the call. I'm assuming that's the correct way to do it?

Quite honestly, getting to where you want to be as a mouth call user is a function of two things:  The first is practice...and determination.  The second is matching your calling mechanics (call positioning, air flow control, tongue placement) and the ability to control all three of those with when using a particular call design.

Sounds like you already have that determination. Stick with it and it will come...   :icon_thumright:

Paulmyr

Start out by making an extended high note than slowly drop your jaw releasing  tongue pressure very slowly until the call slowly drops into the lower ranges. Work on this for a while until you can get that high end to roll over consistently.

Right now, don't try to sound like a turkey just practice getting the call from high to low in super long slow extended yelps. You should be able to figure out how to get the call to break over without having it fall from the roof if your mouth. Once you get the mechanics down and figure out how to make the call roll over slowly pick up the pace until it starts to sound like a turkey.

Sounds to me by using the word chop your progressing through the roll over too quickly and not getting familiar with the mechanics behind making the call roll over.

So more like ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaahhhhhhhpppppppp instead of chop Until get the mechanics down Than slowly progress by shortening it until it sounds like a yelp, if that makes sense.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.