turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Beginners calls

Started by RustyBarrels, April 20, 2024, 01:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I still have one, a friend ruined the original by conditioning it against the grain I had already established, it never sounded right after that.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Marc

Tough to beat a box call for a beginning hunter....  There is not an easier call to sound like a turkey on with almost no skill...  Push-pin might be a bit easier, but not much, and a box call is a lot more versatile...  Both are easier than a pot call or mouth call...

I carry a box call with me every hunt, that just seems to elicit a response from birds.  They just seem to like that sound.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

GobbleNut

Quote from: callmakerman on April 22, 2024, 11:33:47 AM
Quote from: RustyBarrels on April 22, 2024, 11:08:38 AM
Quote from: callmakerman on April 21, 2024, 01:43:50 PMPaul Butski two-sided glass over slate and a Butski Quad cutter mouth call.

Dag on, when I graduated to a quad I was in over my head.
How tough was it to learn on a 4 reed?
Well first off I didn't purchase the calls, they were gifts for my birthday. Being this was to be my first season going it alone and they were all I had to use I just practiced until I thought that I sounded like a turkey. It also helped that I would try the mouth call calling to turkey's on birds I couldn't hunt. The quad just seemed to be a good fit for me.

Started using the Butski "Cuttin'Caller IV" (the four-reed cutter he made) back in the 1980's when Paul was on his winning streak in the national calling contests. It was a great call and not at all hard to use. The reason was because it was constructed of thin latex/proph material rather than layers of thicker material. That makes all the difference in the world as to how difficult a multi-reeded call is to use. Beginners, in particular, who want to try those types of calls, would be wise to stick with calls constructed primarily of thin reed materials.

Another note: "The problem" with those types of calls with several reeds is that with each additional reed added, the harder it is to make the final product have a consistent sound from one call to the next.   

callmakerman

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 27, 2024, 09:31:28 AM
Quote from: callmakerman on April 22, 2024, 11:33:47 AM
Quote from: RustyBarrels on April 22, 2024, 11:08:38 AM
Quote from: callmakerman on April 21, 2024, 01:43:50 PMPaul Butski two-sided glass over slate and a Butski Quad cutter mouth call.

Dag on, when I graduated to a quad I was in over my head.
How tough was it to learn on a 4 reed?
Well first off I didn't purchase the calls, they were gifts for my birthday. Being this was to be my first season going it alone and they were all I had to use I just practiced until I thought that I sounded like a turkey. It also helped that I would try the mouth call calling to turkey's on birds I couldn't hunt. The quad just seemed to be a good fit for me.

Started using the Butski "Cuttin'Caller IV" (the four-reed cutter he made) back in the 1980's when Paul was on his winning streak in the national calling contests. It was a great call and not at all hard to use. The reason was because it was constructed of thin latex/proph material rather than layers of thicker material. That makes all the difference in the world as to how difficult a multi-reeded call is to use. Beginners, in particular, who want to try those types of calls, would be wise to stick with calls constructed primarily of thin reed materials.

Another note: "The problem" with those types of calls with several reeds is that with each additional reed added, the harder it is to make the final product have a consistent sound from one call to the next.   
Mine was the quad IV and man did I like that call.

ColemantownHC

Lynch World Champion Box and Quaker Boy Old Boss Hen diaphragm were my first calls when I was 9 years old circa 1990. Almost got the quaker boy taken away at school several times for clucking on it in class.