turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Beginners calls

Started by RustyBarrels, April 20, 2024, 01:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyBarrels

Reminiscing on being a youngn' and when I first learned to use my dad's "backup" calls.  I do believe it was an old Quaker Boy, slate on one side, glass on the other, and a black polymer striker. We couldn't ever figure out how to play the slick glass surface, makes sense looking back now. All we ever had was a piece of scotch brite pad, whoops! :TooFunny:
Also stole an Ol' Boss Hen from him that was going unused. I sure enough figured out how to make that thing sing, and would recommend that one to any beginner.  It's amazing how forgiving that call was to use.

What was y'alls first?

moonman

My first call was a Lynch World Champion box call.
Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

Lcmacd 58

My 1st was a quaker boy single reed mouth call.

cannonball

My first call was a Quaker Boy Grand Old Master. I think I got it around 1989.

callmakerman

Paul Butski two-sided glass over slate and a Butski Quad cutter mouth call.

mspaci

My first all by myself bird was with one of those QB 2 siders, had to be maybe 84-85, slate side. Mike

Greg Massey

My first production slate pot call was Lohman Thunder dome ...

vt35mag

Started when I was 14 with a MAD Smokin glass pot call and a quaker boy easy yelper.
Can remember my first morning ever. Walked a half mile to a property I had permission on, wearing realtree hardwoods coveralls tucked into 18in lacrosse burly boots, calls in the cargo pockets and no seat or vest. Had a remington, winchester and federal turkey load in a Mossberg 600 (not a typo) with a fixed full barrel.
My 14yr old self would tell me I don't need all the custom calls and gear I got now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ranman

First call was a Primos Power Chrystal. Used it for years and took several gobblers with it. Carried that and my Grandfather's Lynch Fool proof box. Good memories for sure..

captpete

My first call was a H.S. Strut Lil' Deuce slate. I killed 5-6 birds with it before buying a Woodhaven Cherry Classic slate call.

ScottTaulbee

My first that I can remember was a H.S. Strut Lil'Deuce slate. To this day, it's still the best sounding slate I have or have heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brinkcalls

H.S. Grand National double slate with glass. Hoping to find it in my stuff somewhere.

RustyBarrels

Quote from: callmakerman on April 21, 2024, 01:43:50 PMPaul Butski two-sided glass over slate and a Butski Quad cutter mouth call.

Dag on, when I graduated to a quad I was in over my head.
How tough was it to learn on a 4 reed?

callmakerman

Quote from: RustyBarrels on April 22, 2024, 11:08:38 AM
Quote from: callmakerman on April 21, 2024, 01:43:50 PMPaul Butski two-sided glass over slate and a Butski Quad cutter mouth call.

Dag on, when I graduated to a quad I was in over my head.
How tough was it to learn on a 4 reed?
Well first off I didn't purchase the calls, they were gifts for my birthday. Being this was to be my first season going it alone and they were all I had to use I just practiced until I thought that I sounded like a turkey. It also helped that I would try the mouth call calling to turkey's on birds I couldn't hunt. The quad just seemed to be a good fit for me.

Yoder409

This one.  Made it when I was, I think, 13 years old.

Killed my very first turkey using it.  Killed another one fall before last (2022) with it.  44 years between the two birds.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.