Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

410 TSS Shooters Seeing Barrel Scratching?

Started by vt35mag, April 19, 2024, 06:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vt35mag

You guys have noticing a fair amount of barrel scratching and/or pits at the forcing cone from TSS in your 410s?

Got mine all swabbed out after shooting today and looked down the barrel from the chamber end and noticed a fair amount in mine. Apparently I have some shot getting out of the wad. Not using buffer or mylar, but just ordered a dental oscillator to try and get the shot settled in as much as I can in the wad.
I know pushing fast heavy tss loads through small gauges might be more apt to see some of this, just curious if others on here are.
Its a 2-3yr old 500, its a tool, tools wear out, so I am not concerned too much about shooting it out.

Shooting 7/8oz handloads with tps wads if you were wondering.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Prohunter3509

vt35mag

Ihuntoldschool

I think that's normal.  410 operates under higher pressures and you always have more shot contact the barrel in 410.

Like you say you pushing a HEAVY charge for 410.  Definitely happens more when pushing heavier, faster loads.   I think William mentioned they been seeing a lot of 410s with forcing cones beat up good. (Sumtoy)

SumToy

We have seen it in the forcing cone on the 410's.  It will happen on them.  Now we did cut the forcing cone longer in them and help fix the problem.   Now that said shoot it until pattern goes south then work on it.   

Next one I am wondering about is the 28ga.   We the smaller bores and length of the shot load it may be one dont know yet.

Think about a 12ga with a 730 bore and 1 inch long load.       Now the same one inch long (but less payload) going down to the 410 bore.   

That is why cutting forcing cone longer helps the recoil because it is easier to take it down over a long taper.   

In the lead loads it can deform the shot and they sometimes pattern better with if cut.   TSS dont pattern much different because it dont deform.

Just my  :z-twocents: :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

vt35mag

Quote from: SumToy on April 20, 2024, 01:05:22 PMWe have seen it in the forcing cone on the 410's.  It will happen on them.  Now we did cut the forcing cone longer in them and help fix the problem.   Now that said shoot it until pattern goes south then work on it.   

I am going to take your advice here. I was thinking I would send it out (likely to you) and have the forcing cone lengthened after the season. Might as well get as many shots through it as I can before working on it though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk