Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Tagged out in TN

Started by cannonball, April 18, 2024, 09:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannonball

This season was much different than previous ones. There wasn't anywhere near the amount of gobbling I would typically hear, the birds seemed to be 2-3 weeks behind schedule for whatever reason. The large flocks didn't split up until about 3 weeks ago. We had a banner acorn crop in 2023, it's been at least 10 years since I remember that many acorns being on the ground. I feel this helped with the quality of the birds this year, not sure if it might have affected them being a little later than normal. I had torn all 4 of my rotator cuff tendons during deer season and had surgery 6 weeks before turkey season opened. I made some changes by starting out using a .410 and shooting left handed and was able to fill my first tag opening morning. I had recently picked up a 28 gauge Mossberg Tactical Turkey and decided to give it my best left handed effort this morning. I heard my first gobble around 6:30 and got set up just inside 100 yards. He answered my calls and then went silent so I did too. About 15 minutes later heard him spit and drum to my right. I was able to get turned just in time to see a nice long beard crest the hill at 35 yards. The 28 gauge did it's job and my last tag was filled. I feel truly blessed to have harvested two very nice gobblers given the challenges I had this year. I'm already looking forward to spring of 2025 and hope it's as good to me as this year has been.

Roost 1

Congrats on 2 fine longbeards.

zelmo1

Both of you guys are tearing it up. Way to lead by example, lol. Z

JeffC

Great job cannon ball, "Mr. Ambidextrous!!" Go from worrying about even getting out to Tagging Out!!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

cannonball

Quote from: JeffC on April 19, 2024, 08:11:44 AM
Great job cannon ball, "Mr. Ambidextrous!!" Go from worrying about even getting out to Tagging Out!!

Thanks Jeff. I wasn't worried about being able to go. If I'm breathing, I'm hunting.

xarcher

That doesn't suck.  Way to go. 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

3seasons

It has been different this year for sure but it's been a pretty good one too. 

Huge congrats!!