Roosted a stud tonight.......

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 18, 2024, 12:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Roosted a stud tonight.......
But......
As Will Primos says.......
Roosted ain't roasted.
I'll let you guys know how tomorrow morning's hunt goes.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Twowithone

Good luck show him some WLB #6 shot. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

RutnNStrutn

Well, looks like ole Will was right. Roosted definitely ain't roasted. He was roosted on one of my neighbor's places where I can't hunt. Gobbled his butt off on the limb. Flew down and was gobbling non-stop. Hit him with some tree talk and he gobbled as he headed my way. He was closing the gap, and was down in the holler.
He got within 100 yards and I heard it. Hens on an intercept course. They cut him off about 75 yards out, and led him away. He was still gobbling his butt off, headed away.
Have I mentioned that I hate hens? Oh well, I'll try him again this afternoon. It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow, and Saturday the wife and I are going to visit my grandson.

Will

Good luck this afternoon and safe travels.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Will on April 18, 2024, 09:13:11 AM
Good luck this afternoon and safe travels.
Thanks Will, and likewise brother.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Twowithone on April 18, 2024, 08:40:01 AM
Good luck show him some WLB #6 shot. :firefighter:
If I am fortunate enough to get an opportunity, I'll feed him some Apex TSS Small Town Blend. :fud:

TrackeySauresRex

Keep at it Jimbo. I'm getting close to the opener.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 18, 2024, 09:43:23 PM
Keep at it Jimbo. I'm getting close to the opener.
Good luck Johnny!!!

RutnNStrutn

Well, I guessed correctly tonight, but he still whipped me anyway. After spending the afternoon in the woods and only seeing 3 jakes, I moved over to the area I watched him walk to the neighbor's place to roost last night. Just as I was getting ready to pack up and call it a hunt, here he comes, 15 minutes later than yesterday.
Knowing it was a roost hunt, and birds that time of day have little interest in anything other than roosting, I had put out a couple of DSD hens to hopefully catch his attention. After spotting him, he marched 75 yards in the same direction he did last night. I had the scattergun pointed in his direction. He was 70 yards out at that point. 20 more yards and he'd be in range of my 20 ga TSS pop gun.
But, his 6th sense kicked in and instead of continuing, he took a right and kept walking. I quickly let out some soft yelps in a desperation move.
Nope!!
He kept right on and headed deeper into my place to roost. I had to sit there or risk getting busted if I followed. Normally I'd have listened for him to fly up and be there waiting in the morning.
But, of course it supposed to monsoon here from 0200 tonight until 1100 tomorrow, with high winds and possibly small hail. But it's going to be good weather for several days after that, so I'll be back out there.
I've been after this bird for 2 years now. He is a huge gobbler that dwarfs the other local longbeards. He has a long, thick beard and sharp, curved daggers. He would challenge my biggest gobbler ever, and possibly even top him.

TrackeySauresRex

Get him JimBo! Good luck when the weather clears.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Twowithone

Keep at him Captain he,ll slip up.
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.