OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

I have a hen that visits my food plot every day. Is this helpful?

Started by Magdump, April 17, 2024, 03:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdump

I have 5 mostly wooded acres in Maryland next to crop fields (alternating corn and soybean each year) and this is the only place I hunt in Maryland.  In this state, you have to have written permission of the landowner in order to hunt private land so I am stuck and cannot legally roam, close the distance and try to make a play on the surrounding properties.

I have a small food plot and each day, my trail cam takes video of a hen roaming around in the food plot, eating this and that.  She must have a nest in our woods.

Some questions:

While I hear gobblers on the roost in the surrounding valleys and farms in the morning (and I cannot go to them), does this hen's presence help my odds of a gobbler visiting my tiny parcel? 

Do gobblers know she is here? 

Will she somehow attract them? 

If she is on a nest, are gobblers no longer interested in her?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Elidepew05

My thoughts are if there are hens in the area there will be a gobbler close by. Also if that's the only land you'd have to hunt I'd plan on setting on that property for a while if public or private (other than yours) is not available. I killed my first one last year and I've learned patience is a must.

Greg Massey

Either way, sometimes she can be a nuisance...

Most of the time i don't care to have them around me unless she has a gobbler in tow ...

But i agree with hen's around, hopefully a gobbler is around also...