turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Don't forget to....

Started by The Lung, April 15, 2024, 09:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lung

For some reason, whenever I spray my clothes with permethrin I almost always forget to spray my turkey vest. Not sure why I always overlook it. So if you are one that sprays your clothes before opening day, don't forget your vest!

Any other "Don't forget to...." advice you guys can think of?

"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

Big Jeremy

Put more TP in your pocket each time you go out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Lung

Oh my goodness, I almost forgot some toilet paper while packing up! Thanks a million!
"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

Marc

Easy things to forget that can make your hunt unpleasant. I have forgotten all of them.

Water
Food/snacks
Shells
bug spray/Thermacel
Facemask/hat

I won't hunt without water, as I often go in deep and hunt for hours...  Quick stop on the way for water would be required. No food is not fun, but manageable...

I did once kill a bird with steel duck loads, cause I forgot my turkey loads, and scrounged the truck for shells and used what I had...  They worked just fine...

I now have a written list, and at the end of the season, I put the list in my vest...  Always things I would forget without that list.

And I would add GUN to that list...  I have forgotten it once duck hunting....  And I have left the driveway, but remembered to go back in the house before pulling out turkey hunting...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

Now that I am stuck ground blind hunting due to my body I keep most needed things in my blind. Roll of TP in dry boxes in each blind (Why I don't know, with my knees back and hips I can't take a crap in the woods anyway) First aid kit, calls just for rainy days, since I tend to shoot turkey with my camera more than with my gun anymore I leave cleaning kits for the camera and lenses in the dry boxes as well. when it is still cool out I will leave my mouth calls in the blinds, once it starts getting warm I take them home each day, rinse them under distilled water and then put in the refrigerator where I tend to forget them almost every time. Aleve painkillers as I won't take my Oxycodone when driving or handle a firearm and they are slightly better than nothing. I have a gallon or two of purified water in each blind, just have to be sure no slugs have slimed them before I drive from them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TRG3

If you can change chokes in your shotgun, make sure you have the turkey choke in rather than the rifled choke left in from last fall's shotgun deer season. (I did remember to take a roll of TP and needed almost all of it as I must have eaten something that "moved" me last evening!)

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Swamp_870

Don't forget to enjoy the woods

Marc

Quote from: TRG3 on April 16, 2024, 10:04:10 AM
If you can change chokes in your shotgun, make sure you have the turkey choke in rather than the rifled choke left in from last fall's shotgun deer season. (I did remember to take a roll of TP and needed almost all of it as I must have eaten something that "moved" me last evening!)

I once left my turkey choke in for opening day of duck season....  Rough day duck hunting...  Had to let them get out a bit further, and missed some easy shots. :help:
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sungrazer

Was getting ready to lock the truck this morning when a little voice said "Turkey shells?"
Yep still in the truck console.
Others I'm guilty of
Correct tags/license/windshield card
Gun
Facemask/glove's
And the big one-toilet paper.

captpete

Don't forget to grab the keys off the dash before you lock & close the truck door. As soon as I shut off the truck, I pull the keys out of the ignition and lay them on the dash, so I don't have to listen to the "dinging" when I open the door. I now carry a spare key in my wallet.  :-[ :-[

Howie g

Don't 4 get to give thanks for being granted another day in the spring woods .

Tnandy

I took out my face net and gloves, still can't remember to put them back in ....

Greg Massey

Always have a piece of string .. paracord or whatever ... you will be surprised what you can do / use a 20 ft piece of string / paracord for while turkey hunting ..

Notsoyoungturk

Really close the breach on your gun.  Some very nice people let us hunt their farm this year.  We pulled up in their drive when they were still sleeping.  Trying to be a nice guy, I didn't press the slammer button and make a lot of noise.  When the turkey came in, the gun went click.  Fortunately, I was able to eject that shell and make the shot.  Got really lucky on that one.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear