Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

More great hunts… still empty handed

Started by Kygobblergetter, April 14, 2024, 02:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kygobblergetter

Opening day was great but I didn't end up with a bird. At one point had an easy double with 2 birds at 25 yards but my buddy panicked and shot early cause his bird took a couple steps and I called to stop him. It happens big deal. Today I hunted with my wife and had an amazing hunt. Birds fired up and came in tight through the woods. Lots of gobbling and then a last minute shift on us resulted in no chance for a double. She got her bird though and did a great job making the adjustment she needed to make to get the job done. It's been fun. I'm on days all week and then heading to Iowa so hopefully I can knock down an evening bird this week before we leave. The only down side is her bird was a hammer. 1 3/8 spurs. Didn't measure the beard or weigh him but very nice beard and felt pretty heavy to me. The one my buddy shot yesterday was a hammer as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mathews.1

Congratulations and good luck with your season

aclawrence

Wow that would have been a high scoring bird. Didn't your wife know we needed those points lol!  Congrats to her though. Stay after them.

dzsmith

"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Kygobblergetter

I'm working this week so can't start hunting until about 5:30 in the evening. Had awesome hunts Monday and Tuesday but still empty handed. One bird strutting my way last night got to 85 yards before cows chased him off and then at another spot 4 birds made it to roughly 70 yards before flying up to roost. Good weather tomorrow, so I think I'm starting to get a little sick and might not be able to make it to work...

turkey harvester

Same here. Had a good hunt yesterday without a harvester lol. Got on one in the back of a cattle pasture at daylight. He had 3 hens with him. They left and this bird gobbled in the same spot for an hour and a half. I realized he wasnt coming so decided to gain 30 yards on him with a lttle creek bed. Got to where i wanted and there was a 5 strand barbed wire fence holding him up. I was close enough for a shot so I was getting my gun around the tree and seen a damn coyote slipping down the fence to him. Tried to move just enough to scare it off but no go. He flushed the bird and he ran to a wood lot. Called, he gobbled, so I eased across the fence and got set up. He gobbled again to a call so i went silent. Not a peep after that. Sat for an hour and called and lstened, nothing.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Moore

[